HJ Lagerpolizei armband

Thanks Received
Hi Everybody:

My name is Mike and I am new to this forum. Here is a picture of a HJ-Lagerpolizei armband. Armband is dark blue with a nice white gothic style chain stitch (sorry about the pictures-bad lighting) I hope you all like it. I belive that this armband was worn by HJ members who had the duty of policing HJ camps during rallies and such. If anybody has some other explaination, I am all ears!:D I think this is a pretty rare armband.

Thanks
Mike

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

never seen one before but does look very good thanks for posting

Security and discipline in the Hitler Youth camps was the domain of either the Lagerwache (camp guard consisting of boys) or, on large camps, the 'Lager-Streifendienst' composed of a section of HJ-Streifendienst members. There were special armbands for the Lagerwache and the Streifendienst members were identified by the cufftitle so quite who would have worn the 'HJ-Lagerpolizei' armband I'm not sure. I can't find any mention of a Lagerpolizei in the lengthy HJ regulations governing the various types of camps so I'm at a loss with this armband. I can't imagine it being worn by the boys though so it is either a fantasy or was worn by adults operating in some capacity not described in the regulations.

HjJ-Lagerpolizei Armband

Gerry:
Thank you for your reply. I am going to have to diagree with you as this armband being a "fantasy" item. This armband has been mentioned in Wilhelm Saris new book, BANN NUMBERS AND GEBIET TRIANGLES-HANDBOOK OF THE HITLER-JUGEND CHAPTER 3, PG 393.

Thanks to all who have replied.;)

Admin edit: PM on the way to you re: links.

Here is a photo of the Auswies that was posted by W. Saris on WWM in the thread regarding the armband.

"A boy that was chosen to be a member for a Lagerpolizei-unit had a special permit. One is enclosed.
This is a copy from a page for my new book about HY triangles and shoulder-straps/boards etc, which will be published later this year."

Attachments

Thank you for your reply. I am going to have to diagree with you as this armband being a "fantasy" item.

I did say though that fantasy was a possibility - not the only possibility but in any case, a mention in some book isn't proof that your armband is an original. It is merely additional evidence.

Neither the armband nor the 'HJ-Lagerpolizei' are mentioned in the lengthy regulations I have on HJ camps and these include the regulations governing camps of the size encountered at the Nürnberg rallies (Großzeltlager and Führerlager). The authorisation document is extremely helpful and would indeed appear to prove that there was such a unit raised for deployment on a large camp (Großzeltlager). It would be useful to see some original documentation in the form of regulations on this.

On my hard drive I have a copy of the orders for the 'Leistungsschau der Thüringischen Hitler-Jugend' held in 1939 which specifically mentions a blue armband with the word 'Lagerpolizei' which was worn by the camp guard . This provides proof for the existence of that particular armband and it would be nice to see the same kind of thing for the 'HJ-Lagerpolizei' armband because the simple fact that the HJ-Lagerpolizei existed doesn't provide proof in itself that any armband with that phrase printed or embroidered onto it is a good one.

Many thanks for showing the document Darin. That's my 'new thing learned' for today :thumbup1:

Last edited:
It makes sense that one would have been worn and your picture will nail that I'm sure Darin.

What I disagree with here is the inference that because it can be established that there was an ad-hoc unit called 'HJ-Lagerpolizei' that this automatically confers provenance on any armband marked 'HJ-Lagerpolizei'. I think a balance always needs to be struck between the item itself and the regulations (if these exist) governing its wear and use. Photos are of course, always great to see but in the majority of cases they will not answer questions on exact construction.

As an illustration of the balance I mean here's another example: there was a special armband worn on the lower sleeve by the Lagerbannführer at the large camps. This is confirmed by the regulations so we know it existed but we have no (as far as I'm aware) surviving example or photo. The regulations don't say what was on the armband or indeed state its colour so these deficits would naturally impair any decision on authenticity if an example were to turn up at some point. Imagine a faker making one from period thread and cloth and using the confusion to offload one onto a collector for a large sum of money...

In the case of mrumble's armband we have the armband but not the clear period regulations (assuming they even exist and if they do that someone has them) governing its appearance, construction and use.

Yes, regulations were not always adhered to and I know that I often drone on about them but for me personally they provide great reassurance because they, more often than not, are able to tell you what should have happened. That is number 1 on my list followed by photos, feel, smell and finally gut-feeling.

Found this photo. Not the same pattern armband as shown by the original poster. It does show that an armband was worn by the Lagerpolizie however. Still trying to find the other photo.

Attachments

Excellent Darin. Thank you very much for posting that. The water is far less muddy now :)

Here's a little better shot of a Lager Polizie armband in wear. Photo is posted on GDC forum.

Attachments

Back