Latvian HJ flak helpers armband

Littlejohn, pages 267-268-269 show Estonian and Latvian boys wearing armbands.
Pitily one cannot see the symbols. If I do have a photograph where such armband
is worn in my files I do not know out-of-heart, but thought I had! If I find I show!

Drawings from the armbands are at the pages 270-271, where another photographs is
shown, where boys where SS runes in a triangel and also an armband! Another phot
with such armband is at page 366.

I remember this being posted now that I see this :h this still brings up the question to where they all went? Probably still destroyed by the soviets. Or could this have been a propaganda video to get people to join?? Either way I tend to like the design...

Here is one that was shown a few years ago on WAF, with a nice NSDAP ortsgruppe stamp. (inside)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

lol there was another one like that on timetravelermilitaria a while back and it sold for $250 :lol:. I found a photo of an armband being worn for a different country (not one of the 4 from before either.....) Also note how not all of them wear the armband yet are probably from the same unit...

Attachments

Here a photograph I got many years ago from my friend David Littlejohn.
Here the armband and symbol are very well visible. So, such armbands
are worn. Note the SS triangle which was for SS-Flakhelfer.
Further the close-up shows the armband. In my opinion this is a printed
symbol. The diamond is not seperately sewn on!

Sorry I had not seen the photo already was posted in post 17.

Attachments

Yes, it does look like a printed version. The one that was up for sale on WAF (Latvian armband) was declared to be a 70s fake but a photo like Littlejohn's for a Latvian Flakhelfer would go a long way to clearing up this matter of printed vs stitched.

Possible shadow on the pic shown by Jo?

Attachments

Yes but there's no black line on the opposite side of the diamond in the photo. Or are you agreeing with me that this could be a shadow? :)

Naaaa, Gentlemen, let`s nip this one in the bud before there are tears. :swiss

Your attention, for the German readers, should be on the period announcement. Pay attention to what it says about the actual design !
Now compare the worn published image, with the two printed "things" on this thread.

Pay special attention to the Swastika "box" in the middle, and how on the original it looks nothing like what is shown so far. Pay attention to the tips, or arms on the swastika

Also, once again pay attention to the announcement that says the diamond is made from cloth, and "applied".
Thats my word zum Karfreitag, off fishing now, Father in law has "ordered" 40 forellen for tomorrow, so i have my work cut out, although my record so far is 73 forellen in 2 hours :)

Notice how the arms of the swastika on the published image are level to the squares (diamonds) on each side.. yet on the printed bands they are not...

this is what i mean but "level to the squares/diamonds"

Attachments

Last edited:
lol

In my defence, I'm not trying to see merit in printed armbands like the one on WAF. I'm just discussing those worn by the Luftwaffenhelfer from Latvia, Ukraine etc and whether they were made in accordance with the RZM instructions you posted. If that is a shadow, and I concede that it might not be, then it's an indication that this boy is wearing the regulation type.

I hadn't noticed this detail, but whatever: the swastika with the photograph is light colored
and outlined. Also the shades within the diamond are obviously different. Thanks Jo!

But look at the drawing from the "Deutsche Uniformen-Zeitschrift". Here the shades are
as with the shown armband. The discription says: purpurne, aufrechte Raute, die mit einem
schmalen weissen Schrägkreuz belegt ist (purple standing diamond, which has a small, white
cross). The swastika is mentioned to be in that color (so purple, not white). Just an observation
between as actual worn and what is described! So, the boy is not wearing the regulation
type as shown in the magazine and as shown with post 27. I see two different forms worn
with post 27 and post 30.

Wilhelm, any information on the Russian one like the one shown here?

Attachments

I think we should still consider these. Here is another that someone I know has. He has done a burn test and the thread he said burned super quick, and the person he got it from said it's from a vet estate. Though the guy he got it from could be lying, there is always the possibility he wasn't. Same construction as the originally posted one, but looks to be more faded. Sorry for the quality of the pics. He says it is painted as well.

Attachments

WW2 LTD catalog shows the exact same armband in what looks to be the same construction (or so I've been told by someone who has seen a pile of these at a show, so safe to assume

Attachments

Does anybody have any information on what the Crimean Tartars one would have looked like?

WW2 LTD catalog shows the exact same armband in what looks to be the same construction (or so I've been told by someone who has seen a pile of these at a show, so safe to assume

What year is the catalog? It is not in the 1973, or 1978 WWII Ltd Catalogs.....

Saw this a while back and kept meaning to post this here. Made me think of this thread here, as it's very similar to the Latvian version minus it having the diamond. It was with a group of Luftwaffe paper. What it's exact use is I'm unsure of, but when I saw it I had to wonder if it was maybe connected to the Latvian armbands. But why the white is over the stamp probably means that the white was added post war or something. Still something interesting worth being here.

Attachments

Back