Printed HJ armbands

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
So, printed HJ armbands. Lots don't like them, some do but there would appear to be no proof that they were actually worn. Around three years I bought a postcard-size photograph of a HJ boy and always thought it was just a nice photo until I looked at it closely one day and was struck by the completely flat appearance of the armband.

In my opinion this photograph shows an early printed armband. It can't be multi-part construction as there is no trace of any lines and shadows which would be apparent on a multi-part.

The third photograph shows a multi-part under similar lighting conditions. The structure is clear on that one.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I got an infraction when I first tried discussing this on WAF a couple of years ago :)

What got me into looking at this initially was Angolia's statement that printed armbands were banned (this is confirmed in the actual period RZM manufacturing instructions). To me that begs the question of whether the ban was a reaction to the wearing of armbands or whether it was designed to avoid their introduction in the first place. The photo would seem to confirm that it was a reaction.

Last edited:
Garry, interesting point. If they were indeed banned, shouldn't there be a mention of this in the uniform regulations somewhere?

Here's My Printed Armband

Since we're discussing armbands--I picked this up, and began to wonder if it was a fake (which it could still be) as I didn't see any other printed ones, just embroidered armbands. I tried to show detail to the stitching (in and out) and the printed surface of the swas. There is a light stamp of a Reich Adler on the back, but it didn't show up in the pics. Feel free to comment.

Rob

Attachments

I would always be wary of any HJ armbands which are stamped with a Gebiet stamp, party stamp etc Rob as it was illegal to do so during the period.

I read somewhere that the stamps were put on after the war, I guess to make them look more "important" to increase the value. I didn't know about the stamp when I bought it, but saw it afterwards. It's a double ringed circle with the Adler in the middle, and very faint. That's why I was curious as to everyone's opinions as to real or fake.

Rob

Last edited:
I got an infraction when I first tried discussing this on WAF a couple of years ago :)

What got me into looking at this initially was Angolia's statement that printed armbands were banned. To me that begs the question of (if his statement is true) whether the ban was a reaction to the wearing of armbands or whether it was designed to avoid their introduction in the first place. The photo would seem to confirm that it was a reaction.

Garry, I agree - I think it likely as a reaction and the ban probably also included home-made armbands as well. I also noticed in Littlejohn's book that the RJF had to issue a reminder (February 1942 from memory) banning the use of non-standard colour musicians swallow-nests as apparently black/white and blue/white versions were still being worn at that time.

I'm glad you re-posted that pic - I was looking for it some time ago - thanks.

Regards

Russ

That's right Russ. The regulation was 9/41K dated 10.2.1941 and as you say it is a reminder that only red/white should be used. The regs have many examples of corrective measures like this dating in some cases to years after the official introduction of the item. I read one today about the new DJ leader cap which was introduced in 1938. A regulation came out a year later stopping DJ leaders just taking a HJ cap, sewing in aluminium cord, sticking a political eagle on it and making out that it was a procured item. Clearly they were doing it because if not why the regulation? :)

Garry, where can I get a copy of the regulations? What source are you using?

Regards

Russ

For the regulation references I use a 1942 book called 'Vorschriftenhandbuch der Hitler-Jugend Russ. It basically rounds up the changes in a lot of areas to that point and quotes or shows the relevant Reichsbefehle RJF. Very useful book but expensive even if you can find a copy.

By pure coincidence a guy got in touch with me a while back and it turned that he was the one who had snapped the only copy I'd seen for sale from under my nose on one of Niemann's sales a couple of years ago. I'd love to find the other two parts to it one day.

Thanks Garry - they're obviously fairly difficult to come across, so it's great that we have access to it via yourself.

Regards

Russ

It's definitely a good tool to have in the old garden shed and I won't be keeping it to my chest so wherever a regulation can be used to clear something up I'll be whipping the book out and passing the information on.

HJ-Research! :)

Garry,I have collected for 40+ years now and one of my biggest pet peeves over the last 15 years is people declaring items no good based on what the regulations stated.Your photo is a good example of why this attitude is wrong.I have a few homemade and printed armbands that many collectors have dismissed as bad.I KNOW THEY ARE GOOD!We sometimes forget that these were people and people can tend to "make due" without money to get what they need for work,school,etc.Good post you should pin it for our reference.

I agree completely these folks where just coming out of a great depression money was non existant and they did what they had to in order to get into uniform and look reasonable. For those who decry the out of the ordinary home made and non regulation stuff have missed the boat in a big way. There are many red flags to keep the collector on the straight such as stamps appearing on items etc.
HOME MADE badges where common in the 20s for SA SS HJ and most other orgs there where some great home embroiders out there

PAUL

That's one thing I've always wanted to find for my collection - a homemade HJ armband.

Regards

Russ

Back