Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Printed HJ armbands

So, printed HJ armbands. Lots don't like them, some do but there would appear to be no proof that they were actually worn. Around three years I bought a postcard-size photograph of a HJ boy and always thought it was just a nice photo until I looked at it closely one day and was struck by the completely flat appearance of the armband.

In my opinion this photograph shows an early printed armband. It can't be multi-part construction as there is no trace of any lines and shadows which would be apparent on a multi-part.

The third photograph shows a multi-part under similar lighting conditions. The structure is clear on that one.

Attached Images Attached Images

Please login to view user info
    judging by the picture I would agree with you: it looks like a printed armband!

What strikes me as odd, this looks like an early photo with a printed armband. Printed stuff is more common in later items, from what I have noticed.
    Last edited by Gefolgschaft; 14th June 2009 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Can't spell this morning.

this is another very grey area that needs more exploring

I got an infraction when I first tried discussing this on WAF a couple of years ago :)

What got me into looking at this initially was Angolia's statement that printed armbands were banned (this is confirmed in the actual period RZM manufacturing instructions). To me that begs the question of whether the ban was a reaction to the wearing of armbands or whether it was designed to avoid their introduction in the first place. The photo would seem to confirm that it was a reaction.
    Last edited by Garry; 17th June 2009 at 11:39 AM.

Garry, interesting point. If they were indeed banned, shouldn't there be a mention of this in the uniform regulations somewhere?

Here's My Printed Armband

Since we're discussing armbands--I picked this up, and began to wonder if it was a fake (which it could still be) as I didn't see any other printed ones, just embroidered armbands. I tried to show detail to the stitching (in and out) and the printed surface of the swas. There is a light stamp of a Reich Adler on the back, but it didn't show up in the pics. Feel free to comment.

Rob
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would always be wary of any HJ armbands which are stamped with a Gebiet stamp, party stamp etc Rob as it was illegal to do so during the period.

I read somewhere that the stamps were put on after the war, I guess to make them look more "important" to increase the value. I didn't know about the stamp when I bought it, but saw it afterwards. It's a double ringed circle with the Adler in the middle, and very faint. That's why I was curious as to everyone's opinions as to real or fake.

Rob
    Last edited by Teutonic; 15th June 2009 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry View Post
    I got an infraction when I first tried discussing this on WAF a couple of years ago :)

What got me into looking at this initially was Angolia's statement that printed armbands were banned. To me that begs the question of (if his statement is true) whether the ban was a reaction to the wearing of armbands or whether it was designed to avoid their introduction in the first place. The photo would seem to confirm that it was a reaction.
    Garry, I agree - I think it likely as a reaction and the ban probably also included home-made armbands as well. I also noticed in Littlejohn's book that the RJF had to issue a reminder (February 1942 from memory) banning the use of non-standard colour musicians swallow-nests as apparently black/white and blue/white versions were still being worn at that time.

I'm glad you re-posted that pic - I was looking for it some time ago - thanks.

Regards

Russ

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast