Black DJ buckle

jeh

Thanks Received
I just came across this black painted two piece belt buckle. I found some of the examples of black buckles that Chad posted several years ago but did not see one like this. What do you guys think. Where the paint is wearing on the edges you can see the brass showing thru. Looks like RZM stamped on the brass connecting the posts.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Odd one for sure. From the pictures the paint isn't scratched but the center Sigrune is? Hopefully the buckle guys will chime in and offer a valid opinion.

IN A PREVIOUS POST THERE IS SHOWN AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS OF THE SIG RUIN a very odd method of attaching the sig ruin also never seen on period buckles before. To say the least very controversial :canada1

A case could perhaps be made for this being a buckle originally worn by one of the pre-HJ youth organisations that was subsequently converted to DJ. The method of conversion is strange though and why those letters on the connecting "blob"? Strange one for sure but it could well be a period oddity.

Buckle measures 48mm. Attached more pics. Buckle shows wear on edges. Post is bent or soldered crooked. Paint shows scratches and wear under magnification.

Attachments

Jeh
I am really split on my feelings about this buckle. the rune doesn't bother me at all , neither does the box or the claws. What does make me question is the uneven wear between the box and rune, the attachment of the rune and the strange numbers/letters stamped in the blob - the blob itself looks unevenly aged in comparison to the buckle also. I will have to check, but I think I have this buckle in a 2 piece. This may or may not be a case of someone trying to increase the value of a perfectly good variant shape DJ and cash in by selling it as a Blacky.. there seems to be a ton of tiny dents ect in the face of the buckle , and the paint seem to be down in those dents.. could this be indicative of the buckle being painted after use? possibly. I have more questions than I feel comfortable with on this one, but would reserve my final opinion without seeing the buckle and handling it in person. There is much to be said about holding it in your hands and seeing it with your eyes vs a computer screen!

looking at the new pics I feel there is no doubt that it has been painted much later in life as can be seen by the pitting now fill with paint :canada1me thinks JO will be all over this one and await his thoughts

IN A PREVIOUS POST THERE IS SHOWN AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT CONFIGURATIONS OF THE SIG RUIN a very odd method of attaching the sig ruin also never seen on period buckles before. To say the least very controversial :canada1

I would not say that. Have a look at the proportions of the rune. The lower part is not the same size as the upper one. And the lower part also is not inclined as the upper one, but it is flat. That gives it a strange look.

I think we can take out the factor of increasing the value as I only paid $85 for the buckle. I talked to the antique dealer (one of twenty in this shop) and he told me he purchased it from a serviceman who was stationed in Germany in the late 40's. The dealer had a few German items (bayonets, WW1 belt buckle) but knew very little about the buckle except that it was for the youth. I tried to get some more pics of the surface. As for the letters stamped they look like RM7 or RMZ. John

Attachments

Hello, I believe this buckle is pieces and parts that have been put together. This rune is known, and its ok to have a 2 piece DJ, but I believe this buckle is not original the way it is. The soldering and letters have been added post war in my opinion.
thanks for sharing, sorry for the bad news
Chad

Back