DJ to HJ converted belt buckle

Hi,

I want to you show my converted buckle I found this weekend on the fair in Ciney.

The last two pictures show my 2 dj buckles from Assman.
One in top condition and other converted, also good condition. I love them :001_tt1:

I went to the fair too, but must have misted that one, schuere. damn, we could have had a very nice beer together then.... well mayby next years fair we can still do it...

to many people there and as of 16h everyone seemed to be going home there.....

I'll add it to my ever-growing wish list... which is so long now I desperately need to win the lotto.. !! :001_tongue:

don't we all need to win at least once in our livetime.....:glare:

3 makers for comaprison

here are the three rondel designs
1. CTD
2. Overhoff
3. ? Assmann
they are all quite different

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

I want to you show my converted buckle I found this weekend on the fair in Ciney.

The last two pictures show my 2 dj buckles from Assman.
One in top condition and other converted, also good condition. I love them :001_tt1:

Schuere... your conversion was done by Overhoff
thanks for sharing
Chad

thanks for the close ups of the three chad! heres mines

i think assmann is out the window on mine and could be CTD?

p.s i change to overhoff now :laugh:

Attachments

Last edited:
anyone found info on how they did those conversions? it seems they are placed over the original one. but not sure on that. any info?

the boy would give the buckle over to a company representative , the DJ rune would be somewhat flattened with a hammer , 2 holes were drilled through the buckle for soldering. The new HJ rondel would be aligned and then soldered on.. then it would be returned to the boy..

the boy would give the buckle over to a company representative , the DJ rune would be somewhat flattened with a hammer , 2 holes were drilled through the buckle for soldering. The new HJ rondel would be aligned and then soldered on.. then it would be returned to the boy..

ok, thxs m8. this clears somethings up for me...

anyone found info on how they did those conversions? it seems they are placed over the original one. but not sure on that. any info?

this was done when the dj sigrune buckles were fazed out and they had to wear the hj buckle, a boys family having his old dj buckle converted with a new hj roundel would be to save them time and money i guess! :thumb:

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

Sorry, just was intrigued by a point about DJ conversions. Do you think this was done to existing stock rather than DJ boys handing their buckles into the factory? It's just I would have thought that was unlikey. Although I'm just thinking aloud here, and I'm probably wrong. Is there documetary evidence of DJ boys being asked to return buckles to the factories???

Good question Lenny. I was under the impression that the boys in the org. had something like 6 months to return their buckles and have them changed for them. So, in essence, the responsibility was the youngsters to take on. It was less expensive than to have to purchase a new buckle I assume. Perhaps different groups of DJ's rounded up the buckles and sent them off together?
It would be nice to hear more about this.
Cheers!

Rob

Holy thread resurrection Batman!!!

Sorry, just was intrigued by a point about DJ conversions. Do you think this was done to existing stock rather than DJ boys handing their buckles into the factory? It's just I would have thought that was unlikey. Although I'm just thinking aloud here, and I'm probably wrong. Is there documetary evidence of DJ boys being asked to return buckles to the factories???

Lenny , i hear what your saying, i think chad williams is you man to speak to as there is evidence that familys/owner could hand the buckle in to be converted to say money on buying a new one, the buckle that started the thread now belongs to a member here, when i got it you can see the buckle is worn but the front conversion plate is un worn and you can see its much newer, wouldnt mind seeing some more input here on this, or the actual documented evidence there is on this 6 month conversion window!

The change to HJ buckles for the DJ was ordered on the 4th of June 1937. The order says that there was a period of grace ending on 31.12.1937 where the old DJ buckles could be worn. The plan was that the DJ would all be wearing the HJ buckle by the beginning of 1938. Assmann, Overhoff and Dicke were apparently the only three companies authorised to carry out the conversion of existing DJ buckles but I don't think that I have seen a period source where that is stated. In the interest of completeness it would be excellent to see that (or a reference to the source document).

Assmann, Overhoff and Dicke were apparently the only three companies authorised to carry out the conversion of existing DJ buckles but I don't think that I have seen a period source where that is stated. In the interest of completeness it would be excellent to see that (or a reference to the source document).

yes this is what i was want to know/see also :thumb:

i think the only proof to this is the Assmann, Overhoff, Dicke details to the front plates that are always found, there is only another 1 variation of front plate apart from the three mentioned and its an unknown maker, i think it may just speculative because the plates found are always by these 3/4 makers? i could be wrong on that point tho, and waiting to learn :)

The order I mentioned above was: Reichsbefehl 10 III dated March the 18th 1938 p290

Assmann converted the buckles for HJ Gebiete 1 to 9, Dicke took on 10 to 17 and Overhoff 18 to 26. All DJ buckles were to be returned by the units in batches for reconditioning, conversion and nickel plating. The primary driver was to save on costs and materials.

The order I mentioned above was: Reichsbefehl 10 III dated March the 18th 1938 p290.
Assmann converted the buckles for HJ Gebiete 1 to 9, Dicke took on 10 to 17 and Overhoff 18 to 26. All DJ buckles were to be returned by the units in batches for reconditioning, conversion and nickel plating. The primary driver was to save on costs and materials.

Excellent info, So that means it wasn't the individual boys family that returned the buckle, it was done on a group basis? Makes sense... My original thought was that it wouldn't be sensible for individual familes to return buckles...

Back