KH maker marks on Hitler Youth and Jungvolk buckles

Thanks Received
Hi all...I am new to collect German beltbuckles and recently got a DJ buckle marked RZM 36 - KH 30. I know the maker is Berg & Nolte, but I can't figure out why it's stamped KH and not the M code. Is the KH an earlier code than the M codes...??
Any and all information I can get will be appreciated as I'm still learning......thanks

Flemming.

Yes that`s right. The KH code was replaced in March 1935. The KH will be found from late 1933 to around mid 1935, but not all makers used the KH code on their actual products. The M-code that was used at the same time as the KH code, was MA/ - and was specifically for Metallabzeichen, and will never be found on a Buckle. The M codes that you speak of, were a later prefix for everything, along with a number.

Yup...Metallwarenfabrik pretty much summed it up! KH is an earlier marking, used up to mid '35 (9 March 1935 is when the first M4 licences were issued) . KH actually stands for Koppelschlosshersteller (meaning buckle manufacturer).
If you have the chance to put up some pics of the buckle - would love to see it!
Cheers!
Rob

Yup...Metallwarenfabrik pretty much summed it up! KH is an earlier marking, used up to mid '35 (9 March 1935 is when the first M4 licences were issued) .
Rob
Hi Rob. Not quite true. The new prefixing system was announced then, and it was announced that all those who already held a license, would need to include the new prefix M.../ on their items, M1/ M4/ the list goes on. BUT no new licenses were given then, it was simply a new prefixing system, the makers who adopted this way of prefixing their markings after April 1935 (or however long it took to make/change dies) already had an RZM license, in cases going back many years. So no new licenses were issued as such. If we wanted to know when each already licensed maker recieved his new license, with the new M../ code, then we would need to know when each makers license expired, as they were all only valid for a year. (and not all given at the same time) There are plenty of examples of older licenses still showing the transitional codes, or old KH prefix, being withdrawn late into 1935, meaning that many makers would still have held an old license up until the end of 1935 and even possibly into 1936.

The date March (from April) 1935 is only the date that the makers were suppose to include the new M../ code. I know it sounds like nit-picking, but the assumption that the licensed makers were all given new RZM licenses with the new M../ code after or around this date, is not true at all.

Hi Guys..you have all been very helpfull with information regarding the KH mark. It was like I expected an earlier mark than the M../ codes. Here are a few photos of my buckle. It must have been made late in the KH era because it's stamped 36. It's difficult to see the 36, but it's on the tip of the buckle stamped beside RZM. The KH30 and RZM is on the side , see photos.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Are there any known lists of how many makers who used the KH stamping and who they were.....???? Like the M../ codes are known.

Back