Not HJ....but outlawed and replaced by HJ!

Thanks Received
Hey gang...Thought I'd just show my German boy scout buckle. It's a late 20's, early 30's piece. It's not HJ - but given that the HJ eventually "replaced" this organization...I thought I'd put up some pics. This buckle is the one shown in Angolia's book on page 301. Nice to have a documented example. ;)

Cheers!

Rob

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi! It's a German boy scout buckle. I guess the fleur de lys symbol is the universal symbol used by that organization. I know that Canada and the US also use it.
Cheers!

Rob

Hi Paul! Glad you like it buddy! No makers mark on it though,
Cheers!

Rob

The common Pfadfinder Koppelschloß

Angolia's book is not always right if it comes to Pfadfinder and other German youth movements. This buckle is widely considered to pre war. Only I have never ever seen a photo where this buckle is clearly visible on a pre war photo. Also never seen it in a pre war catalogue /catalog. Maybe because most items in those early catalogues / cataloges were only discribed and not photographed or at least drawn. But there is no proof still. So I personaly have my doubts. They all have no marks or maker signs, These buckles are often offered on German ebay and prices are between 10 and 70 Euro, depending on luck. They were made in the same way up to the 80's and used with the scouts up to today. I do not own these buckles any more.

Attachments

The first one is the one you can buy now.
3 more pics of the ones that look older:

Attachments

And 3 pics of one that is probably from the 90's, you can see an OLC mark on that one.
2 pics of another "old" one, which I still think is not pre war. Sorry.

Attachments

Last edited:
Interesting pics for sure! Given that these were made pre-war and post-war....I guess it's almost impossible to tell which is which. That said - patina helps and you can certainly tell that the two piece examples are quite current. I tend to look at construction methods: the belt catch, the ears, the prong tips, prong bar sleeve. There are some buckles that have the same characteristics of pre-war manufactured buckles.
Thanks for the extra pics!!

Rob

Back