BDM in combat ?

Thanks Received
I understand that many BDM girls were keen to take up arms and fight in Volksturm units towards the end of the war and that Hitler was against the idea of women going into battle.

Does anyone know of a BDM unit that fought or know of any stories of BDM girls in action?

Nick

I have just finished reading the book IN A RAGING INFERNO by Hans Holztrager.
Its about the combat units of the Hitler Youth that saw action at the end of the war.
It mentions that some BDM girls did see action in some of these units but there never was a sole unit made up of BDM Members.

There is no evidence that I have ever heard of formed units in action, but around March 45 any female that was not armed in the eastern sector was in big trouble

I agree would be nice to see one with just a sidearm. Even the DACHAU pic with the female SS warders they are never armed.

paul

maybe this thread will generate some pics

I have 2 aunts " Laura and Anita' who were BDM Red Cross helpers in Berlin during the famous Last Battle .
They told me that they had knives handed out to to them and the other Red Cross girls in the last 2 weeks of the war in Berlin , My Aunt Laura told me that her Supervisor had a pistol that she carried in her purse and remembers that that if the Russains tried to Rape her she would kill as many of them as she could . Fortunatly for her that did not happen but My Grandmother was raped as well as my Aunt Anita . I did not ask Anita about this . My Aunt Laura was mid level BDM Leader .

Thanks for posting joe

not an easy thing to talk about, it must have been a very grim time for your loved ones,

steve

Not an easy thing to talk about but true .

My Omi "Grandmother" had 5 children 4 girls and 1 boy . the 2 oldest girls were in the BDM and the boy "Wolfgang" was in the HJ .
My Mother then 5 years old along with my other aunt Charlotte 9 years old witnessed the Russian soldier Rape my Grandmother , My Aunt Charlotte remembers yelling at this Russian Pig , he picked her up , threw her against a wall and shot a few rounds above her head from his machine gun . After he was finished he took a bull whip and whipped my Grandmother calling her in perfect German a "Nazi whore" . At about the time of the whipping a Russian Officer saw what had happened , yelled at the soldier then shot him in the head with his pistol . The Russian officer then gave my grandmother a blanket and some food , picked up the dead Russian soldiers weapon and left .

This is a true story that was related to me from my mother and my Aunt Charlotte , My Grandmother never talked about this .

My Uncle wolfgang (16 years old) was one of the many listed as "missing" presumed dead after the Battle of Berlin .

When it comes to the topic of this thread "BDM in Combat" My Aunt Laura once told me that she had been issued a knife too her and other war volunteers in her section during the last few weeks of the war for "self protection" . She did , however ; state that "out of curosity" she and a few other BDM girls attended an Hitlerjugend demonstration class on the Use, Function and Effectiveness of the "Panzerfaust" antitank weapon . She never fired one but had held one in her hands after the class.

My Aunt Laura ( the former mid level BDM Leader ) now 80 years , old saw my collection once , 4 years ago while visiting us here in the United States .
She was very empressed and could hardly stop talking about how great the parades and rallies that she attended were , she said that she had the honor of carring the flag during parades .... at one point when she was standing in my Bunker room she did something that I will never forget ...she saulted My HJ Flag that I have hanging on the wall , She said that she just wanted to do it one last time .

My Aunt Laura is now in in an old folks home , weak and bed ridden near Munich .

Last edited:
Joe
Im glad he got some justice handed out on the spot, and your aunt laura saluting the flag must have been very touching, my dad is 87 now and life has wizzed past as it has for a lot of us with the speed of technolagy etc etc what he went through i can only think about when i bring it up he just says "that was his life then and you had to get on with it" we seem to overlook that our elders were once young,

thanks steve

Not an easy thing to talk about but true .

My Omi "Grandmother" had 5 children 4 girls and 1 boy . the 2 oldest girls were in the BDM and the boy "Wolfgang" was in the HJ .
My Mother then 5 years old along with my other aunt Charlotte 9 years old witnessed the Russian soldier Rape my Grandmother , My Aunt Charlotte remembers yelling at this Russian Pig , he picked her up , threw her against a wall and shot a few rounds above her head from his machine gun . After he was finished he took a bull whip and whipped my Grandmother calling her in perfect German a "Nazi whore" . At about the time of the whipping a Russian Officer saw what had happened , yelled at the soldier then shot him in the head with his pistol . The Russian officer then gave my grandmother a blanket and some food , picked up the dead Russian soldiers weapon and left .

This is a true story that was related to me from my mother and my Aunt Charlotte , My Grandmother never talked about this .

My Uncle wolfgang (16 years old) was one of the many listed as "missing" presumed dead after the Battle of Berlin .

When it comes to the topic of this thread "BDM in Combat" My Aunt Laura once told me that she had been issued a knife too her and other war volunteers in her section during the last few weeks of the war for "self protection" . She did , however ; state that "out of curosity" she and a few other BDM girls attended an Hitlerjugend demonstration class on the Use, Function and Effectiveness of the "Panzerfaust" antitank weapon . She never fired one but had held one in her hands after the class.

My Aunt Laura ( the former mid level BDM Leader ) now 80 years , old saw my collection once , 4 years ago while visiting us here in the United States .
She was very empressed and could hardly stop talking about how great the parades and rallies that she attended were , she said that she had the honor of carring the flag during parades .... at one point when she was standing in my Bunker room she did something that I will never forget ...she saulted My HJ Flag that I have hanging on the wall , She said that she just wanted to do it one last time .

My Aunt Laura is now in in an old folks home , weak and bed ridden near Munich .

Wow. Thank you for sharing this story.

Thanks everyone .

I have a few more stories that I will post in the near future.

I figure , if we do not write down what has been told to us from the history of past generations then the history will be lost to future generations.

Very true Joe. Looking forward to hearing more. My girlfriend's grandmother and family were among those chased back into the Reich from Ostpreussen as the Russians advanced. Both she and her husband (also from Ostpreussen) still have a bit of a problem with Russians today after what they saw and experienced during that trek. A bit irrational of course as it's like blaming young Germans for the war but hey, they lived through hell so I'm not about to judge them.

Thanks Joe and Garry for what you have just told us.

My girlfriend's Grandmother also was one of the victims of the Russians, she was back the 12 or 13 so... unfortunatelly, that is life. But we have to admire those German women who suffered this pain BUT fought back and hard after the war to rebuild their country and their society in peace.

Regards

Antonio

Many BDM girls joined combat units of HJ within the Volkssturm to help with medical support, food prep etc and were trained on how to use panzerfaust, grenades and pistols.

I bet there were some unrecorded individual acts of heroism by these girls !

Nick

Back