Possible former HJ Bann Hq ???

Thanks Received
Here's a site a found, not sure what language it's in, but they have pictures of what appears to be and old building with the words 'hitler jugend' above the door. I'm guessing this could have been a Bann Hq ???

Dawny Gdañsk :: Zobacz temat - Biskupia 4 (Restaurant zum..) i Orzeszkowej 8 (Hitlerjugend)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Please Post your thoughts on this one!

Rob

Attachments

It sure does look like " hitler jugend " to me also .

Obviously something you don't see every day, too bad the picture isn't dated to know how recent it might have been. Seems strange it survived as long as it has (or did) Maybe it was covered over with another sign and that sign has since been removed, revealing what was underneath. Just some ideas...

Rob

I was kind of hoping that this might indeed be the previous Bann headquarters for Bann 5 Danzig but unfortunately not. The Bann HQ was located initially at 'Poggenpfuhl 55' which is south of the location shown on the map in the polish forum (street name - Am Berg). By 1937 the Bann HQ was located at 'Am Johannisberg 4' on the other side of the river in the east of town (Danzig-Langfuhr) so this building can't be the old Bann HQ unless of course the location changed again in later years but I don't have any references for that unfortunately. I would think though that the building shown would not have been big enough to accommodate a Bann staff.

The poster says that the building was a shop so perhaps it was an outlet for HJ clothing. An alternative could be a location for meetings. Whatever it was it's amazing really that the sign remained visible for so long.

Garry, you're probably right about what it was in a previous life. I went with Bann Hq, for lack of a better title. It would seem (as compared to the pic you have on the home page) rather small like you said.

I bet it's the only building left in the world still advertsing the HJ.

Rob

Someone on the thread said that he was going back for another look Rob and said that when when he got around to it that the building had been demolished.

I'm guessing that the Hitler Jugend sign was uncovered during the early stages of demolition but the thought that it has been visible since 1945 is very intriguing :)

Another piece of History lost to progress .

I figured it was most likely covered up over the years, and like you said, uncovered during demolition. At least someone was smart enough to take the picture when they had the chance.

Rob

I think you're right, but by the look of the pics lower in that blog, they are putting the building down.....

I agree with garry , probably a small shop or even a meeting center for a part of the local bann members, somewhat as a youth house these days?
where there not more than one place in the city where they gathered, as some bann had a high amount of members.

on the other hand, even today in some countries they find the swastika in all kind of buildings.
The found one in a church here in Belgium last year. But as the building is protected they can not remove it from the walls.

Last edited:
Back