Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Please login to view user info
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Was also the HJ-Streifendienst made by volunteers?

was there any requisite to join that group?

Regards

Antonio
    They were all volunteers too Antonio. The Streifendienst included the HJ-Feuerwehrscharen and the basic prerequisites for service with the SRD were:

Exemplary service in the HJ (and DJ if transferring from there directly into the SRD).

Must have displayed exemplary conduct both in and out of uniform since joining the HJ/DJ.

Good sporting ability

Good general fitness/eyesight/hearing.

Strong character, ability to handle pressure.

After 1938 the SRD members were also assessed for suitability for the SS at the same medical examination which tested their physical suitability for the SRD. Once the boy reached 17 there were further requirements to be met to permit transfer to the SS. SRD leaders also had additional prerequisites.

I have a lot on the Streifendienst so if there is anything specific you'd like to know just let me know. Probably better to open a new thread for further questions if you have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heran View Post
    Was also the HJ-Streifendienst made by volunteers?

was there any requisite to join that group?

Regards

Antonio
    The Striefendienst were volunteers that were a cut above the regular HJ.

Streifendienst units were funded and trained by SS and local police units.

Upon compleation of there SRD duties , these special HJ were expected to enlist in the Waffen SS .

Great information. Interesting to see exactly how boys were groomed for the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by patrick1974 View Post
    Thanks for the info Garry,i thought there might be special lettering on the boards indicating Reiter-HJ
    Patrick, the only thing I've seen regarding shoulder strap insignia for the rieter HJ is a period photo of an HJ who has unofficially affixed a metal crossed flags cypher to his straps. Not regulation, but this sort of thing was done by HJ occassionaly.

Quote Originally Posted by joecool View Post
    The Striefendienst were volunteers that were a cut above the regular HJ.

Streifendienst units were funded and trained by SS and local police units.

Upon compleation of there SRD duties , these special HJ were expected to enlist in the Waffen SS .
    Thanks Joe and Garry for the info.

I didnt know they were volunteers. I thought they were "promoted" after achievements, etc.

I knew about them being close to the SS / Gestapo and that many of them ended up in Concetration Camps.

Best Regards

Antonio

Just come across this thread. Great reading!Great info!
    Answered alot of questions Thanks:)

More accurate figures:

Nachrichten-HJ - 47,000 members (1940)
    Flieger-HJ - 120,000 HJ members plus 100.000 DJ in the model plane groups or Modellflug Arbeitsgemeinschaften (June 1940)
    Motor-HJ - 150,000 members (April 1940)
    Marine-HJ - 62,000 members (1940)
    Reiter-HJ - 'raised' in 1938 but was not a special arm in the sense that the others were. In 1938 23,000 HJ boys were undergoing riding training with the NS-Reiterkorps

Source: Das kommende Deutschland 1940

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12