Flakhelferin tragedy

very sad those last months of the war must have been so terrible for all Sad storey but i expect just one of many many more acted out at the end thanks for posting may the souls rest in peace

Agreed! It was particularly harrowing for the BDM girls in the east as the Russians advanced. I have been reading about some of the atrocities the HJ suffered in Michael Katers "Hitler Youth" book :sad:

Nick

nick have you been watching Hitlers war on sky sends shivers down your back what the russians did to those women and children over 100,000 rapes terrible :thumbdown:

William Gustoff

Did you know that the Russian Sub captian was dismissed from the service because of this action,the Gustoff had Red Cross markings.I have a couple of dinner menue's from the happy days of 1936 and 1937,also have a couple of postcards if anyone would like to see a scan please let me know.Mike (operaman).Ps there is a German movie that is around I would love to see it.

There are really no winners in war .
Only the dead and the survivors .

Respect to the dead. There was also the sinking of the hospital ship Tubingen, but that's not youth related. Just thought I'd mention it. I'd try and give you a link but my internet is limited to dial up speed until December 7.

William Gustoff

Here are some scans

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

William Gustoff

one more scan

Attachments

I think being trapped on a sinking ship would be a terrible way to go. As part of the earlier discussion about horrors committed by the Russians, read "After the Reich" by Giles MacDonough...it describes very graphically what was done to captured HJ, and civillians. It's a tough read.

Rob

There is a lot talked about the ship and crew in the older book 'Gotterdammerung" by Russ Scneider 1998. youthman

Back