Hitler Youth Kriegsfreiwillige

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
Thought it might be interesting for some to see this short clip of a parade for HJ/DJ war volunteers (starts at 4:51). Shows the red cord being slipped onto the strap and also close-ups of the Kriegsfreiwilliger card.

I have a nice document set for a Motor-HJ boy which includes one of these if anyone fancies a look:

Last edited:
Great footage Garry. Also note what appear to be metal numerals on the strap. Here's some examples from my collection showing different types of Kriegsfreiwillige.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Excellent Darin :thumb: Do you know the significance of the white cord on the Bann 786 strap at all?

I don't know what the signifigance of that one is Garry. Appears to have been on the strap for a long time however. I suspect it could be reflective of a Striefendienst appointment or something, or possibly just embellishment by someone post war.

The red cord of the war-volunteers

Rote Kordel für Kriegsfreiwillige

In 1944 the Reichsjugendführung introduced a spedial insignia for war volunteers [Kriegsfreiwillige] of the HJ.

A sideeffect of this was that HJ who had not volunteered were recognisable by everyone.

One moth before the end of the war, the armed forces adopted the red cord. The chief of the armed forces, Generalfeldmarschall Keitel signed this order:

'Re: Special insignia for war volunteers of the HJ.

The Reichsjugenführung confers a red cord, to be carried over both shoulder straps of the HJ uniform, to the war-volunteers of the HJ as a special insignia.

The insignia is continued to be carried after concription to substitute- and field-armed forces.

At first a red cord was given out, a rotated round-string of approx. 4 mm diameter made of Celleon, shaped as push open strip. Later they received narrow red ribbons, to be put to the lower end of their shoulder straps.'

Photos (Klaus D. Patzwall):
1. Shoulder strap for HJ-Oberkameradschaftsführer with fabric lace of 7 mm width

2. Shoulder strap for a HJ-Rottenführer with round cord.

Source: Militaria, Vol 1, Nov.-Dec. 2000, Number 6 (English edition)

Attachments

Excellent Darin :thumb: Do you know the significance of the white cord on the Bann 786 strap at all?
Ich wüsste auch gern wofür diese weisse Kordel steht. Hat jemand eine Ahnung? Ich habe das Buch von Saris gekauft aber er scheint diese weisse Kordel nicht behandelt zu haben.

Last edited:
Back