Knights Cross holders- 12 HJ Division

Thanks Received
Does anyone have any pictures of any the 15 KC holders of this Division?

Heres hoping:)

Nick

Thanks Pat thats great!

I am researching this Division, the more I find out the more I am in awe of their feats :)

Nick

Hitler Youth in war

I have gt Hubert Mayers book on order it might have something in there about the Knights Cross winners.You know it is funny,the stuff on the internet about the 12th is not very flattering,most of the things they say are that the Division was mediocre (sp) at best.I wonder if there are any really good assements of what they did.I seem to remember reading that one HJ got 14 Russian tanks at the battle of Berlin.Any truth to that. CHEERS

Correct me if I am wrong , but I don`t think the 12th SS fought in the Battle of Berlin .

There were aprox 20,000 Hitleryouths that fought/supported the battle .
But these were HJ not there namesakes SS Divison.

Joe is correct. The 12th SS fought in Budapest before retreating to Austria. The survivors of the division then made thier way to Enns to surrender to the Americans as they did not want to fall into Soviet hands. Upon the surrender the division refused to drape white flags on thier vehicles as ordered to by the Americans. Only 10,000 members survived the withdraw and subsequent rearguard actions to make it to American lines.

Correct me if I am wrong , but I don`t think the 12th SS fought in the Battle of Berlin .

There were aprox 20,000 Hitleryouths that fought/supported the battle .
But these were HJ not there namesakes SS Divison.

You are right Joe, but I bet OKW wished they were there!

They would have scared the Red Army as much as they did the Brits and Canadians !

Hitler Youth in war

Hey gang,I know that the 12th did not fight in the Battle of Berlin,what I was trying to say is that the Heroics of the HJ were ledgendary and that the reports I have seen said that the 12th in general was not that great when they were in Normandy and Budapest.Who was that kid that took out 14 Russian tanks! CHEERS ,Mike.

A couple of pictures for nick

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hey gang,I know that the 12th did not fight in the Battle of Berlin,what I was trying to say is that the Heroics of the HJ were ledgendary and that the reports I have seen said that the 12th in general was not that great when they were in Normandy and Budapest.Who was that kid that took out 14 Russian tanks! CHEERS ,Mike.

I think you are refering to the story of Hitlerjunge Nowak. I can't find the link but there's an extensive discussion on Axis History Forum regarding this story, seems some have the opinion that this was a legend started by a volkssturm commander or something.

Some more details

Knight's Cross with Swords
Kurt Meyer, 27.08.1944 Oberführer Commander 12th SS Panzer Div Hitlerjugend [6]
[edit] Knight's Cross with Oakleaves
Gerhard Bremer, 26.11.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander 12th SS Panzer Reconnaissance Btn
Max Wünsche, 11.08.1944 Obersturmbannführer Commander 12th SS Panzer Rgt [6]

Kurt Meyer displaying Knight's Cross with Oakleaves[edit] Knight’s Cross
[edit] SS Panzer Regiment 12
Arnold Jürgensen, 16.10.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander I./12th SS Panzer Rgt
Karl Heinz Prinz 11.07.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander II./12th SS Panzer Rgt
Richard Rudolf, 18.11.1944 Oberscharführer platoon commander 12th SS Panzer Rgt
Hans Siegel, 23.08.1944 Hauptsturmführer Commander 8th Company, 12th SS Panzer Rgt [6]
[edit] SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 25
Werner Damsch, 17.04.1945 Hauptsturmführer Commander I./12th SS Panzergren Rgt
Siegfried Müller, 19.12.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander 25th SS Panzergren Rgt
Hans Waldmüller, 27.08.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander I./25th SS Panzergren Rgt [6]
[edit] SS Panzergrenadier Regiment 26
Emil Dürr, 23.08.1944 Unterscharführer Geschützführer, 4th Heavy Company, 26th SS Panzergren Rgt
Bernhard Krause, 18.11.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander I./26th SS Panzergren Rgt
Wilhelm Mohnke, 11.07.1944 Obersturmbannführer Commander 26th SS Panzergren Rgt
Erich Olboeter, 28.07.1944 Sturmbannführer Commander III.(gep.)/26th SS Panzergren Rgt [6]
[edit] SS Panzer Artillery Regiment 12
Oskar Drexler, 06.05.1945 Obersturmbannführer Commander 12th SS Panzer Art Rgt 12 [6]
[edit] SS Panzerjäger Battalion 12
Fritz Eckstein, 18.11.1944 Rottenführer Richtschütze, 1st Battery, 12th SS Pz Jäg Btn
Georg Hurdelbrink, 16.10.1944 Obersturmführer Commander 1st Battery, 12th SS Pz Jäg Btn
Rudolf Roy, 16.10.1944 Oberscharführer platoon commander, 1st Battery, 12th SS Pz Jäg Btn [6]

Attachments

Back