Hitler Youth day badges - regulations on wearing them?

Thanks Received
Hi all,

I would like to know if there was any restriction to carry Tinnies/Tagungsabzeichen and if there was a specific rule for the HJ to carry the Tinnies.

At the same, which metallic badges were allowed to be carried? I would also like to know where could I find in written theses restrictions/laws?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Antonio.

As far as tinnies were concerned (Tagungsabzeichen) these were only permitted for wear for the duration of the respective event. As you know, certain Tagungabzeichen were later elevated to honour badge status like the 1932 Potsdam badge and so were permitted for wear long after the event.

Which other badges do you mean in your second sentence?

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your answer. Apart from the Potsdam Tinnie, were other Tinnies treated diferently? We see many pictures of Jungs with tinnies, that is why I thought that it could be carried any time.

For the second question, I mean both the membership badges and/or the Leistungsabzeichen. Where could I find information about the "official" metallic badges that the HJ could carry?

I know my question is a bit confusing. I am trying to elaborate, as a long term project, a list of the most important metallic badges, when started to be used, in which "Anordung" were made official, etc. I am trying also to do it in Spanish.

So, that is why I am really interesting to know where could I find the "official" information on badges and then work from that. In other words, going back to the basics and the primary information.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Antonio

The reference I'm using here is an extract from Abschnitt IV of the 'Anzugsordnung für das Führerkorps der HJ (E. FAO) dated 15.5.1937'. The references listed in the order are:

Gesetz über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen dated 7.4.1933
Verordnung zur Ausführung des Gesetzes über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen dated 14.11.1934
Verordnung zur Ausführung des Gesetzes über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen dated 17.3.1936
Verordnung zur Änderung der Verordnung zur Ausführung des Gesetzes über Titel, Orden und Ehrenzeichen dated 17.3.1936
Anordnung number 139/36 from the Stellvertreter des Führers dated 6.11.1936 on 'The wearing of Medals, honour badges and badges'.
Anordnung 9/37 from the Stellvertreter des Führers dated 12.1.1937 concerning the authority to wear the movement's honour badges.

This is all taken directly from a 1942 book which means that all laws and regulations mentioned were still valid at that point. With that in mind I think that we can assume that it was valid until the end of the war.

Further information comes from "Aufbau und Abzeichen der HJ" 1940

For the HJ there is only one HJ tinnie (Tagungsabzeichen) listed which was elevated to national honour status and that is the Potsdam badge. From 15.5.1937 only the silver version was permitted for wear. Also, all other tinnies including WHW were only permitted to be worn for the duration of the event. This applied to all branches of the Hitler Youth.

HJ and DJ
:

Sport badges.

Only two sports badges were permitted to be worn at the same time. One of them had to be the achievement badge (if the person had qualified of course) and the other could be chosen freely from the following list.

SA sports badge
Deutsches Reichssportabzeichen (including the earlier Deutsche Turn- and Sportabeichen)
HJ Leistungsabzeichen (only the highest level awarded was worn)
HJ shooting badge (as above)
Reichsjugendsportabzeichen
Jungfliegersportabzeichen
Deutsches Reitsportabzeichen
Deutsches Fahrerabzeichen
Deutsches Jugendreitabzeichen
NSKK Sportabzeichen
Meisterschaftsabzeichen of the Reichsbund für Leibesübungen
Ehrenzeichen für Verdienste um die Plege der Leibesübungen

Achievement badges were worn on the right breast pocket (the second sports badge from the above list was worn to the right of the party badge and HJ-Ehrenzeichen/HJ membership badge on the left breast pocket).
Shooting badges were worn on the right breast pocket
The Potsdam badge was worn below any sports badges on the left breast pocket
The HJ Ehrenzeichen was worn on the left pocket flap.
The party badge was worn directly below the HJ-Ehrenzeichen.

BDM/JM:

Only the following were permitted:

HJ membership badge or HJ Honour badge
Party badge (for party members)
Achievement badge
Potsdam badge

The HJ-Ehrenzeichen (or normal membership badge) was worn centrally on the left breast pocket. Directly below that was the party badge.
On the blouse the achievement badge was worn on the left breast pocket between the buttons (on the Kletterjacke on the left breast pocket to the right of the button)
The Potsdam badge was worn to the right of the HJ-Ehrenzeichen on the left breast pocket.

If there's anything else you need to know just give me a shout. What I have quoted above are the regulations and so this is how badges were ordered to be worn. In reality we sometimes see deviations from this on photos but that doesn't mean that the person depicted was doing things correctly :)

Excellent piece of information, Garry. Well done!!

Maybe I am asking too much, but what is the source of this Information?

Thanks once again, this information is gold.

Regards

Antonio

No probs Antonio. The references I used are given at the top of the post. There is a large section on the HJ-Ehrenzeichen which I haven't quoted but the information on how to wear the badge is the same as shown above. If you use the information on another forum could you link directly to this thread rather than just to HJ-research.com ? Thanks!

BRAVO, BRAVO!!!

Excellent information and excellent list of Sources and References. I may start getting them, step by step.

Thank you very much.

Ah, just one more question about that book from 1942. Is that one that you sold a few months ago (remember even the price)? Oh man, I should have got it.

Do you think it is a good idea to put this great information in the “Metal Insignia” section, it would be a pity if it gets lost in between many other threads.

Regards

Antonio

Yes, That was the book which shows the Anzugsordnung. I have a scanned copy of it so I sold the original. You can bookmark this thread if you like by hitting the bookmark button at the top left of this page :thumb: This stores a link to the thread in your 'settings' page.

Excellent, excellent, excellet. It is quite exciting.

Thank you Henrik, I will be checking regularly. At the moment I am doing a Finance course until february but I will be checking it for sure. At the moment, as things are going ok here in Germany, it is time to secure (and study) things when the "thin cows come" (Typical spanish saying for "bad times").

THANK YOU once again, how many beers do i owe you both?

Regards

Antonio

THANK YOU once again, how many beers do i owe you both?

Regards

Antonio

None mate. It's enjoyable thumbing through the books when questions like yours come up so that's reward enough :)

Back