Moabiter Posaune

Thanks Received
I'll call this a "newsletter", that looks like it would have been printed for the Moabit HJ. This was included in the group order in which had the Bann 201 Kontrollbuch. Please note, the name "Koester" written onto the uniform shirt, which corresponds to the the owner of said Kontolbuch.

I was able to provide a few scans of the first few pages I'm going to try and get the rest scanned and uploaded. I'm not sure if the resolution will be good enough if anyone would want to translate as to what is being said.

Thanks and enjoy!

Teutonic

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

additional pages

Attachments

and finally

Attachments

Just a few thoughts on the first few pages of this Soldatenbrief for all those who do not read German, and a bit of background from Wikipedia to get a better picture of the situation.
The newsletter is dated to December 18th, 1943, so it had been written the days before. Berlin had become a main target now for the Allied long range bombers and the bombing showed a strong impact on everyones live.
Bombing of Berlin in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most interresting to me is, that the writer (seems to be the leader of the Jungstamm) is complaining openly about the heavy air raids. The number of Jungstamm members had decrease also, since more and more people had left the area of the Stamm because it is more severely bombed than other parts of Berlin to where people tried to escape. (Half a million people were made homeless by December 1943 in Berlin.) He is complaining about the fact that the Jungstamm's last two Dienststellen have been destroyed and they now meet in a school house (Turmstr. 87, Louisenschule). They had been doing handicrafts lately which were prepared to be sold on a weekend (18th and 19th Dec. 1943) on some Christmas market in Berlin-Steglitz because the Stamm was not able to do their own Christmas market. On that Saturday night e.g. 440 Avro Lancaster Bombers made their way to Berlin.
Avro Lancaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
He also writes that they were going to have a Stamm Christmas event (I personally do not want to call it a party) down in an air raid shelter. The leaders had tried to get some kind of present for everyone, but only small items.
In contrast to last year it will not be possible to send any presents to the now soldiers of the Stamm.
He even doubts that the Soldatenbrief can be kept up under these circumstances.
The ex-members were for example located on the Italian front at the Volturno Line
Volturno Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Mussolini had been dismissed and the Italians had already surrendered)
another was stationed at Kiev which had already been taken by the Russians while he wrote the Soldatenbrief.
I doubt that the propaganda had already announced that bad news.
Battle of Kiev (1943) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and at a lot of other places (could not read all) including field hospitals.
All in all the air raids did what the Allieds had in mind: the soldiers at the front were told that their homes and families are in great danger while they are away from home in Southern Italy, Russia and other places.
Must have been demoralising after all.

The Moabiter Posaune (Trombone or trumpet of Moabit) is a Soldatenbrief (soldiers newsletter) sent from the Bann to their fieldgray comrades (maybe former HJ-members from the Bann), informing about what happened in the Bann since the previous newsletter.

Indeed. I have a couple of them from HJ Gebiet Nordmark for 1940 and 1941 but I really like that DJ version from Berlin :thumb:

Attachments

Back