REF new HJ book

the price looks ok, considering the research studies behind it. I am pretty sure anyway that in europe they will apply the ugly conversion 1:1 and it will be priced 89 euro :angry:

Hi Guys~

I got lucky and won a free signed and numbered copy from Wim!:001_cool:

Can't wait for it to get here in a few weeks hopefully:drool:

Chrys

The book description (which I assume Wim wrote) makes it sound as if there is some kind of black art involved in finding official Bann lists. It's actually quite easy to be honest and the only really difficult part of the process is getting the money together to pay for copies of the source documents. This is why I don't yet have a full list for 1935 for example. I know where I can find it but the cost of obtaining a copy is prohibitive. If Wim's book turns out to be as good as it is described then it represents good value for money - even at that price.

I am interested to see what Jeff Hammond contributed. I remember many many years ago before the net, trading with him through snail mail. His HJ collection was incredible so many rare HJ items and a flag collection that was unreal.

Not sure if anyone has heard yet but this will be one of Wim's last books. He has decided to step away from militaria research and focus on his health and Kimono and chopstick collection. He said that he will finish his current projects (another headgear book for Bender and a few articles for various magazines and periodicals) and be finished with it all together.

Chrys

shame it does not say how heavy it is, to work out postage costs, postage to the uk from the us will be ridiculous

crazy here we have a book that is $89, current exchange rates means this book should be ÂŁ53 but here in the uk its ÂŁ79 which is makes $130 how does that work out:cursing::cursing: why have we got to pay $40 more for the same book:cursing:

just curious but how much do our american members have to pay in postage from bender
stu

I think it will be the shipping costs. I wanted to buy another reference book from the US awhile ago. The shipping was going to be around US$42. I found the same book available in Australia, just over the ditch from NZ, and the cost was just slightly more in total than the one from the US including shipping.

Regards

Russ

Considering the price of many specialized third reich reference books today $89. seems very reasonable to me. Earlier this year I bought a copy of the new book "Combat Badges of the Third Reich volume 2" from the author Stephen Previtera at a militaria show. The price was $200 and that is the initial selling price. Mine is a limited numbered, boxed edition so possibly they did produce a slightly less expensive version also,I don't know. $200. sounds high but volume one of this book goes for double this price if you can find a copy. Most of these books are printed in very limited editions due to the author having to put up the total cost of the printing and shipping from the publisher up front. It can take years for the author to recoup this money and there is always the chance that the book won't sell well making the venture a huge loss for the author so it is best to print a limited number of copies. If the book does turn out to be well accepted by collectors the after market price will rise making the initial price look cheap. All of this may not apply to the new HJ book since it is being published by Bender but if it does turn out to be a great book as expected it should have a very good after market price and easy to resell. Mike

I can't find the book listed on Bender's web site. If it's listed there could someone post a link to the page. Too bad it won't be ready in time for the Max show. Thanks, Mike

Back