What did the HJ wear under their Uniform?

Thanks Received
hello all! does anyone have a good idea of what the HJ wore under their uniform? i was wondering if there were any issued undershirts or underwear, if anyone knows what the HJ wore under their uniforms, please do tell me. i currently think it's any private purchase underwear long sleeve or short sleeve undershirt. again, if anyone has info, please let me know!

many thanks!

Hi,

This burning question was already addressed ten years ago here.
I would definitely like to endorse Garry's opinion. No dictatorship, and I know more than one, has gone so far as to regulate the underwear of its people. The time of being naked "underneath" already came to an end in the 19th century, and it was the military, of all people, that initiated this for hygienic reasons.
To the variants already mentioned, I would add the gym shorts, which were of course particularly suitable if you knew you were going to take your clothes off, for example for early morning exercise or swimming.
In contrast to the twenties of the Weimar Republic, people in the TR were rather prudish, and the Nazis had a downright panic fear of supposed or actual homosexuality in their youth. Therefore, nudity was to be avoided as much as possible. Nevertheless, one finds corresponding photos from time to time.

Here are some great shots of quite literally everything the HJ member would have worn. Hope this helps

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Here are some great shots of quite literally everything the HJ member would have worn. Hope this helps

thank you for the photos! if you have any context or list of the items shown that would help me a lot!

Hi,

This burning question was already addressed ten years ago here.
I would definitely like to endorse Garry's opinion. No dictatorship, and I know more than one, has gone so far as to regulate the underwear of its people. The time of being naked "underneath" already came to an end in the 19th century, and it was the military, of all people, that initiated this for hygienic reasons.
To the variants already mentioned, I would add the gym shorts, which were of course particularly suitable if you knew you were going to take your clothes off, for example for early morning exercise or swimming.
In contrast to the twenties of the Weimar Republic, people in the TR were rather prudish, and the Nazis had a downright panic fear of supposed or actual homosexuality in their youth. Therefore, nudity was to be avoided as much as possible. Nevertheless, one finds corresponding photos from time to time.
thank you for the help! im trying to figure out if they wore a regular white cotton crew neck sort of thing or something more like this here.

Attachments

thank you for the help! im trying to figure out if they wore a regular white cotton crew neck sort of thing or something more like this here.
The simple answer is: Mickey Mouse t-shirt, t-shirt with Hindenburg's face or your shirt with matching underpants. As jack pointed out, what was worn under the Braunhemd/shorts/trousers/breeches was not regulated.

The simple answer is: Mickey Mouse t-shirt, t-shirt with Hindenburg's face or your shirt with matching underpants. As jack pointed out, what was worn under the Braunhemd/shorts/trousers/breeches was not regulated.
haha thanks garry! i apologize for asking again but i guess curiosity got the best of me! thanks for the help guys!

To me, the picture looks more like an even older shirt, with a dickey and a collar that had to be buttoned on, i.e. no underwear (around 1900).

To satisfy your curiosity a little more, most people will have worn a white cotton vest like the HJ sports shirt, but without the rhombus, plain white.

I think most often they did wear Leibwäsche as preferred.
In letters I read bown, white and such.
Here a part from an order from 1936 where just things
as shorts and shirts for gymbastics were mentioned.

In some letters they just mention Unterhose, kurz (underpants short).
No shirt was included.

Attachments

Thank you Wim for the source.
There was a III. Garnitur (third set) in the Tornister. A Garnitur (of underwear) always consists of two parts - vest/shirt and briefs, the fact that these are not explained here proves once again that there were (of course) no regulations for them.

Back