HJ shoulderboard with lyre for musicians, Bann 596

mkholst

Thanks Received
Hi guys

Just got this shoulderboard with the post today from Weitze. It is from Darin's collection, and I am very proud now to own just ONE thing from his former collection.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

It is a kind of unofficial board regarding the lyreinsignia, but I found a period pic in Wim's Handbook page 555, where I can se a similar board ( EVERY HJ-collector should own this book). It is also a good thing to know that it is from Darin - it is a "seal of approval".

I am very happy with this new board to my collection, and I would share my delight with you.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

It's a great board. Don't rely soley on my endorsement of it though. It appears to have had the lyre on it for a long time and there are period photos of unauthorized devices attached to shoulder straps. I can't say for certain that it's period done but it is set into the strap pretty well so it's been on there for a long time. I liked this strap a lot in hand and was personally happy with it.

Hi Darin

Thanks for your comments, but I still believe, that you know a lot+ about HJ-boards :clap2:

When I got it in my hand, I also noticed, that it looks like the lyre has been there a very long time - there are marks of the lyre in the board. Because of these marks i.m.o. it must always have been on the board. :amen:

I had a lot of stuff I could not include in the book, as it already was to heavy.
I could have filled another 30 or more pages easily with triangles and shoulder-
straps and such. I did prefer the handbook in two volumes, but that was not a
possibility.
Amongst the material I had available were two straps (pairs) also with the lyra-
device and so you see orders were not at all obeyed. Of course surely not by boys
in a sort of special formation. They liked to show-off!!

Hi Wim

I agree, it is heavy, BUT I must say that i.m.o. your book is not TO heavy, I would not miss ONE page from that book :001_tt1:

I would love to se pics of the straps mentioned in your post, but I realize that maybe you do not have them anymore:

"Amongst the material I had available were two straps (pairs) also with the lyra-
device and so you see orders were not at all obeyed. Of course surely not by boys
in a sort of special formation. They liked to show-off!!"

Here are 3 photos copied from Ebay showing the Lyra being utilized .

Attachments

Hi Wim

I understand you very well - it would be like finding a needle in a haystack, and would take to much time - but I have the pic in your book, and that's evidence enough for me until now, thanks.

Hi Joecool

Thanks a lot (your post came while I was answering Wim) - very nice pics - specially the 2. which i.m.o is same style as my strap (but a brown one as I se it) with same style lyra - the 3. pic is a strap without no. ??

One more.....:001_tt1:

Attachments

Congratulations Michael, a very nice item that would grace any collection. Good to see a lot of Darin's items staying with members of this forum:thumbup1:

Back