Reichssportwettkampf badge variations?

Thanks Received
Last edited:
Three styles of the 1939. I had to use a 1938 to show the third variety, my mobile is acting up.

Notice the eagles chest and wings. There is a 1) smooth eagle chest (marked "Hillenbrand and Broer"), a 2) stipled chest with distinct wing edges (RZM marked M9/89 Hillenbrand and Broer) and a 3) fully stipled chest and wings ("E. Sch," which could be Erich Scneider). There has to be a better word for stipling, "hashed" maybe?

The 1938 has at least two patterns. Fully smooth and full hashed.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Any thoughts on these patterns?

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi Emanresu

I have never noticed the different patterns, but have just looked at my own badges.

I have all 3 variations mentioned by you, but I do not know of any further variations. Se below pic of my badged,

Michael :denmark

Attachments

Nice. I really like that 1939 you have there. Is it RZM marked?

I haven't seen any variations in the 1934-1937, but there might be a silver of the 1940-1941. I am still waiting on the delivery of a few pins, especially the 1943 full wreath.

I will try to to make a single post of my varieties at some point. These pins are great since they are a low budget collectable. I scoured every German, Russian, and English auction or militaria site for these different patterns. :) There's a Russian site with the 1939 smooth (what I called variety 1 above) and they also have the 2 with the hashed chest and RZM mark.

Hi again

Here is 2 pics of my 1939 badge, and yes it is RZM-marked and producer-marked too.

I will really look forward to se your pic of all the varieties that you know of.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

There are 4 variations of the 1935 badge - Flat with a round topped "3" (Flach "3" Rund), Flat with a flat topped "3" (Flach "3" Gerade), Domed (Gewolbt) and Flat with a raised HJ Diamond (Flach HJ Raute Erhaben).

Seems I need to have a close look at the 1938 and 1939 variants as I only have one of each in those dates!

Attachments

Unless I fall off the Earth, I plan on uploading these variations as I find them. I will post in no particular order, as this can be based only on the manufacturers that I can access, buy, compare, and photograph. I will do my best to avoid words like "thing," but could use some help in terminology.

I will probably use the Hillenbrand and Bröer pieces as a baseline since I have years 1935-1939 represented by them. Eagles at the top of the wreath only appear in years 1936-1939.

1935 badge #1: Hillenbrand and
Bröer.

Observations: Flat obverse. HJ diamond not raised. Swastika arms are slightly thinner than the space between the arms. 2.63 cm tall, 1.77 cm wide. Date is enclosed with a rectangular border. The small rectangular device below the date is about half the height of the semi-circle below it. Reverse is marked "
Hillenbrand and Bröer" on the top, "Lüdenscheid" on the bottom.

Attachments

Last edited:
Badge #2: "Fr. Zimmerman," possibly Fritz Zimmerman und Sohne?

If you notice, the dimensions are just about the size of badge #1, above. It appears shorter in height because, when lined up at the level of the dates, the rectangle and semi-circle (below the date) are shorter than #1.

Observations: Flat obverse. HJ diamond flush with obverse, just like the Hillenbrand. Swastika arms are thicker than the intervening spaces. 2.65 cm tall, 1.78 wide. The rectangle and the semi-circle below the date are the height. The reverse is marked at the bottom, "Fr. Zimmerman" with "Stuttgart" below it.

Attachments

Last edited:
In case you are wondering, I am separating these into different posts because I can't figure out how to get the images to post inline with the appropriate descriptions. If anyone objects, let me know. Oh, also let me know if you want more. This is for my own benefit, but if it's not useful info, I will stop.

Badge #3: "PSL," possibly Paul Shulze and Company, Lübeck.

Observations: Flat obverse. HJ diamond flush with obverse. Swastika arms are needle thin. Date font is very small compared to badges #1 and #2. Semi-circle below date is noticeably taller and skinnier than the rectangle. The date box has no vertical enclosures (only a line above and below the date). 2.48 cm tall, 1.71 cm wide.

At this point, I am guessing that there are as many distinct badges as there are manufacturers. I have seven of them and the only ones that are arguably similar are from makers Neff and Gutenkunst.

Attachments

Last edited:
In case you are wondering, I am separating these into different posts because I can't figure out how to get the images to post inline with the appropriate descriptions.

Hi,

The following link shows how to get images inline. Basically, you need to use the picture frame icon as opposed to the paperclip icon. The former allows you to enter text and to position an image next to it. The latter just places all images together at the bottom of the post.

The Hitler Youth Militaria Collector Forum Front Page - How to post pictures

When you are preparing a post in the editor you can double-click on images that you have uploaded and gain access to further image options if you require them. For example, you can wrap text around images by placing some style info into the box as shown:

Those settings give the following result:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean volutpat erat eu lobortis tincidunt. Sed suscipit nisi nec vestibulum elementum. Nunc quis massa scelerisque, rutrum ligula quis, lacinia justo. Vestibulum eget venenatis velit, sit amet bibendum diam. Proin pellentesque hendrerit massa, facilisis efficitur mauris pretium at. Mauris facilisis ornare interdum.
Quisque ante metus, commodo a ornare et, pulvinar ac ipsum.

Donec pulvinar urna eros, a luctus urna iaculis eu. Fusce at nunc sed massa lobortis tempus. Vestibulum finibus interdum nunc, et tincidunt elit fermentum et. Ut sagittis a tellus nec placerat. Sed id tincidunt magna. Donec ullamcorper consequat lorem, a fringilla diam auctor eu. Maecenas gravida vulputate est at sollicitudin.Sed auctor felis dolor, sed cursus odio dapibus eget. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. In vel nibh vitae magna fermentum blandit vitae mattis dui. Pellentesque non magna vel mauris luctus laoreet. Etiam vulputate, dui et viverra commodo, tortor metus fermentum libero, sed efficitur nisl justo ut urna. Donec leo nisl, viverra et dictum nec, luctus non ligula. Duis vel est sit amet lorem faucibus sodales ut nec tortor. Praesent sit amet augue ut velit pretium placerat eleifend ut mi. Curabitur a facilisis nunc, ac porta sem.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean volutpat erat eu lobortis tincidunt. Sed suscipit nisi nec vestibulum elementum. Nunc quis massa scelerisque, rutrum ligula quis, lacinia justo. Vestibulum eget venenatis velit, sit amet bibendum diam. Proin pellentesque hendrerit massa, facilisis efficitur mauris pretium at. Mauris facilisis ornare interdum. Quisque ante metus, commodo a ornare et, pulvinar ac ipsum.

Just give me a shout if you need further assistance with posting pics.

Attachments

Badge #4: Overhoff and CIE.

Observations: Slight convex obverse. Flush diamond. Equidistant swastika arm width compared to spaces in between. Date box/banner not fully enclosed (no vertical ends). Semi-circle below date is the most elongated of all badges. 2.48 cm height, 1.63 width.

Badge #5: Ferd. Wagner.

Observations: Obverse is more convex (domed) than badge #4. Very slight elevation of HJ diamond. Sawstika arms very thin. Date box not closed (open ends). Date font is much larger than the other badges. Semi-circle and rectangle are similar to badge #2. 2.55 cm tall, 1.59 cm wide.

Badge #6: R. Neff, Berlin.

Observations: Flat obverse with elevated HJ diamond. Swastika arms uniform with spaces. Date box enclosed. Semi-circle and rectangle similar to badge #1. 2.66 cm tall, 1.88 cm wide. This is the largest badge of the 1935s.

Badge #7: Gutenkunst, Berlin

Observations: Convex obverse with elevated diamond. Swastika arms slightly thicker than intervening spaces. Semi-circle and rectangle are smaller than Badge #6. 2.64 cm tall, 1.788 cm wide.

Attachments

Last edited:
Back