Fake Hitler Youth membership badge - Collectors Guild should know better

Thanks Received
cant believe someone with the experiance of the collectors guild has a hj members badge just arrived on their site by otto hoffmann,

surely they are aware of these fakes :sad:

stu

Admin Edit: picture added

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Bad to the bone. Somebody should email Peter Whammond and let him know about this badge. I'm sure he'll pull it once it's pointed out to him.

All the Big Wigs sell em as Good :w00t:
Here`s another, from a `supposed`esteemed German Big Wig
Sale link

Of note, the discoloring around where the pin attachment is soldered on. Now, i already mentioned this on the DJ Shooting M1/66 thread ► here ◄ and i`ll tell you how it happens...
It`s a reaction in the Modern metal caused when someone holds a gas-soldering iron over the middle few a few seconds in order to melt the small pebble of zinn (pewter) that they are using to hold the plate on. This is something that i intend on doing a little article about sometime this year, and is actually quite interesting.
I would imagine that the very early fakes from Europe, had the attachments soldered on in the same manner as pre-45, using Fluron and proper solder, as they do not show this horrible discoloration. My guess is that these pieces are made outside of Europe.
Pictures of a fake (Fantasy B logo) with removed pin, clear to see the horrible sloppy Pewter solder, and discoloring. And an Original M1/78 with removed pin. Note the differences in how the solder was applied, and what it looks like.
I know that it`s only possible to see after the plate is removed, but the tell tale signs are there if you know what to look for, so no need to go removing pins to check if the badge is real :yo:

Attachments

Fake items on Becks Militaria

Wow, there's some real garbage on that site Jo! So many bad items for high prices. The topper is this rare DJ scarf for 140 Euro and this Ostpreussen triangle. Good lord they are bad.

Halstuch HJ Pimpf - Tunics & Insignias - Beck Militaria

Attachments

That's probably an FDJ scarf actually (Pionierhalstuch).
Hmmmmmm, me thinks granny's old napkin with leather knot. :huh:
The question is, IS it RZM marked? if so, then we`re all clear :closedeyes:

re: thieving pictures, well i can do a right click on Firefox, Opera and chrome (never touch IE), and if that wont work, then a screen grab and just crop the images. I do try and save as much trash as i can for future reference, i found that it comes in very handy, especially when "someone" assumes later on that they have never sold anything like that :sneaky2:
It also helps to track certain items later on, for example HJ Honor badges and rare items that were sold damaged, or with no pin, and then turn up a few years later in Top condition.

Garry, yes, That website has gone downhill fast, they used to be very OK, good badges at reasonable prices, but now.. :scared:
Maybe it is an indication of the times that are to come... or, like i stated in another post on this forum, i still believe in the good of most `dealers`(yes, laugh, i am too) and honestly believe that these big wigs are OK selling cr4p just as long as they can find the same cr4p on other big wigs sites. Here is a classic case, Beck looked at Whammonds site and now is certain his Hoffmann is a good piece ... well, you know what i mean.

I wish I had seen this before I bought that exact badge from Collectors Guild... :( How dissapointing. Can anyone explain about "otto Hoffman" so I know for future?

Hi and welcome. Sorry to hear that.

If you enter "otto Hoffman" into the search box here on the forum you'll find other threads which discuss the Hoffmann badges. Basically there was never a company by that name during the TR that made metal badges.

Try contacting the Collectors Guild , and for a refund .
What i have found that works the best, is to not mail first, but just re-pack and ship back Registered post. Then a day or three later send the dealer a mail, stating that you have sent the fake back, noting the Registered number, and of course any links to threads like this one etc.....
It`s not a "hard" item to judge, or even a "possibility" and the consensus on any Half-decent internet forum will be the same, fantasy name, early Repro..end of story. If you start off with emails back and forth, depending of course on the dealer, it might turn sour, but if it`s already in the post registered mail, not much he/she can do but to refund. And a re-stocking fee would fall away naturally, unless the dealer is convinced that you are mad and it is real :blink:
Seeing as it was really your own Fault for not doing some research first, i guess you will loose the postage fee, plus the extra postage to send back.

I returned an item to Collectors Guild over a year after I bought when it was brought to my attention that the item was fake. The entire transaction was handled with the utmost courtesy and professionalism by the owner Peter. I encourage you to contact him at once and explain you are returning the item.

If you enter 'otto Hoffman' into the search box here on the forum you'll find other threads which discuss the Hoffmann badges. Basically there was never a company by that name during the TR that made metal badges.

Maybe it would bode well to start a new thread Titled Otto Hoffmann on the Forum, merge the other Otto Hoffmann posts into it and make it sticky, as... (hope this does not come as a shock to you) there WAS, a company called Otto Hoffmann, and they DID make Hitlerjugend items. (Just not the Joseph-and-his-multicolored-rainbow-pins)
The enclosed advertisement shows you exactly what they made, and where they were. They also would have held a (few) RZM numbers as well.

Attachments

LOL. Well imagine that a rare piece of cloth turned up with his sticker on the back, it would get binned on the basis that poor old Otto was a "fantasy maker". There are a few posts on here that refer to him as a Fantasy name :sad: I bet that many of the old makers must be turning in their graves now, wanting to "come back" and slap some truth about our heads... i know that Karl Hensler would want to ice-pick the spines of many a TR collector. (turn them into Jelly sandwiches)

hehe Yes, definitely a very good idea to get a Hoffmann thread which also contains your info 'stickied' in the membership badges forum :good:

I cropped the ad from a Uniform=Markt, i think a 1939 or 1940 issue, haven't gotten that far yet on the Archive thread, i saved it a while ago and then forgot all about it. There are a few more surprises as well.

Attachments

Garry, give me a heads up when the threads started, and then i`ll tell you why i believe it is more than possible that Otto Hoffman DID make HJ membership badges :biggrin1:

Back