Oberbannführer Helmut Antoni

Thanks Received
I am doing research into a specific Oberbannführer. His name is Helmut Antoni. Having searched the internet through the usual means (google) I have only stumbled upon one document:

Hitler Jugend 2 - Page 74 under:

OTHER PERSONALITIES IN THE RJF. (Assignment Unknown) o.ssr. ANTONI O.baf

Any help or tips where to find more information would be much appreciated.

Many thanks!

Hi,

His name doesn't ring a bell but let me go through some lists. I'll get back to you here. It would be useful to know whether we are looking more at the earlier period or the later. Do you have a photo that you are working from?

Hi Gary,
thank you very much for the quick response. There is a direct linkt to Baldur v. Schirach, thus, I'd think pre 1941. Someone has told me that there might be a linkt to Prague. I am trying to get hold of a picture and will post.

Okay, the possible link to Prague might be useful. I'm looking through the lists of those who were awarded the HJ Ehrendolch and also the higher leader promotion lists for 1938/9 but haven't spotted him yet. Looking forward to seeing the photo :thumb:

Toni,

I've been through the promotion/appointment and Ehrendolch lists that I have here and I only see the one mention of him. He is listed on an RJF order dealing with recent appointments to leadership positions. The order is dated the 18th of Jan 1939 and shows that Bannführer Helmut Antoni had been appointed as the provisional head of the Grenz- und Auslandsabteilung of HJ Gebiet 3 Berlin on the 1st of November 1938. I don't see him after that but I don't have complete sets of these orders for 1940 onwards. I'll keep looking and clearly if I find any more on him I'll post it.

The 1944 US report at scribd is useful but it contains many errors and oddities. With your chap, it might be possible that he was corresponding with the RJF in his area of responsibility and someone saw his name on a letter and incorrectly assumed that he was on the RJF staff where actually he was on the staff of Gebiet 3 Berlin. Difficult to know really.

Gary,
this is really interesting. Berlin makes sense as I know he was living in Berlin at that time. I know there is a closer link to Schirach somehow - that is how I found the name. This might suggest a closer link to the RJF directly. As I said he was in Berlin at that time. Both directions seem to interesting.

It's possible. The information for the RJF departments in the US SHAEF report from 1944 over on scribd reflects a point after 1940 so it might well be the case that Antoni was appointed to a position on the RJF staff. What makes you sure that he was closely linked to Schirach? Do you have further info?

It's possible. The information for the RJF departments in the US SHAEF report from 1944 over on scribd reflects a point after 1940 so it might well be the case that Antoni was appointed to a position on the RJF staff. What makes you sure that he was closely linked to Schirach? Do you have further info?

Hi Garry, had a bit of a breakthrough recently. Have discovered the actual picture with Obanf Antoni next to Schirach. I will have a scan next week and post. Hopefully his uniform will help me in finding out more. Hopefully you can be of help.

toni

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Hi Garry - trying to get a better quality image - the person of interest is the one in the middle. Schirach is the one on the left as far as I know.

Toni

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Thanks for uploading the photo Toni. The man on the left seems too tall to be Schirach in my opinion. Is the photo annotated?

Thanks for uploading the photo Toni. The man on the left seems too tall to be Schirach in my opinion. Is the photo annotated?

no, it is not. but I am actually getting hold of the original - I will scan it in beginning of next week. We should be able to see more detail then.

Cheers,

Toni

If this is a coincidence it must be a big one.Two Antoni could (must?) mean a connection

I found more on Helmut Antoni so here is a short biography:

Helmut Friedrich Antoni
Born: 24.1 1914 in Berlin
Joined NSDAP 1.9.1934 (membership number 1903424)
Joined the Hitler Youth in 1932.

HJ career in Berlin:

1932: Kameradschaftsführer
1933/4: Scharführer, Gefolgschaftsführer and then Unterbannführer.
Aug 1934 - 15th of Oct 1936:
liaison officer on the staff of Gebiet Berlin (liaising between HJ Gebiet Berlin and NSDAP-Gauleitung Berlin). 1934 - Official visit on behalf of the RJF to Flanders (Belgisch-Flandern). Promoted to Bannführer in October 1936.
Oct 1936-Oct 1938: Wehrmacht and also Oberbannführer in the RJF Auslands- und Volkstumsamt where he was the K-Leiter of Hauptabteilung II (Auslandsdeutsche Jugend). As mentioned in post #5, he was also appointed as provisional head (K-Leiter) of the Grenz- und Auslandsabteilung of HJ Gebiet 3 Berlin on the 1st of November 1938
1939: Published the book "Bekenntnisse eines deutschen Heiden".
March 1942:
appointed as HJ Liaison Officer within the Auslandsorganisation der NSDAP.
July 1942: awarded KVK II without swords. Was also a holder of the HJ Honour Badge.

Back