Boy's HJ uniform (work in progress)

Thanks Received
Pic of my youngest trying out his outfit at an art gallery costume contest. All his idea, and he won second place. uniform is a mix of original and homemade items. he is pretty proud of it, and learned all the words to "Tomorrow Belongs to Me" from Cabaret. I was not comfortable with the HJ armband, so I made a DJ armband to be less controversial. turns out, it was a pretty eclectic crowd, and would not have been offended anyway. Of course we are not political, just slightly eccentric. If this is the wrong place to post this, my apologies. I understand there are some issues with some details, and we are working those out. Especially the shoulder boards, shoe laces, and socks
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

As you say, some issues with the detail but overall a decent look for reenacting. The armband design isn't DJ by the way. It's the type used by the Vlaamsche Jeugd

Nice detail , however; I would go wth shorts instead of trousers .

I agree about the shorts. However, the inspiration came from the biergarten scene from Cabaret- I know there are differences, and I am not sure how much research they did for the film. I have been trying to balance historical accuracy with this image

Attachments

You are absolutely correct I did not know that, but I just looked at the correct forum posts. I have learned something.

I agree about the shorts. However, the inspiration came from the biergarten scene from Cabaret- I know there are differences, and I am not sure how much research they did for the film. I have been trying to balance historical accuracy with this image

Hi,
Ah yes, I understand the project better now. Yes, the white socks and the hiking boots are indicative of southern Germany/Austria and elsewhere on the forum there is a post or thread (I can't find it at the moment) saying that the HJ administrative districts of Obergebiet Südost (Austria), Gebiet Hochland, Schwaben and Bayerische Ostmark were all permitted to wear the white socks. They also wore the Edelweiss badge.

Hi, this was a metal badge worn on the right collar and on winter caps by boys who lived in those districts I mkentioned. Only they were permitted to wear it but I have seen on the forum a picture of a boy from a north German district wearing one. I'll try to find it. If you search the forum for "Edelweiss" you'll see quite a few discussions where the badge is mentioned but here's an example of it being worn on the shirt by members of the HJ in the district of Sudost Steiermark

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f34/hj-uniforms-edelweiss-suedost-steiermark-6419/

Ok- that looks like a regular edelweiss. I can do that. Thank you for the info.
t

Back