HJ snare drum, sticks and hanger

Thanks Received
Following up on my earlier thread about HJ drums, I found that, according to Angolia's books, the standard military snare drum was 36 cm in diameter. However, the HJ drum was smaller although not specified in the book.

My drum, which I think is HJ, has a diameter of 30 cm which makes sense in that boys would probably not be trying to carry a full sized military snare drum.

Angolia also says that the sticks were usually painted black, but I have seen them wood brown in many photos also. Please note in the photo from Angolia's book on the HJ, the sticks have metal caps at the end. However, most photos do not show metal caps or are hard to see--you see many plain sticks, meaning, no metal caps at the end.

The caps in my my example, and I bet in most, do not fit the tightening bolts though, they are too large. So my take is that the HJ were issued the standard military sticks or plain brown wood sticks.

The imperial style eagle was used throughout the war along with the replacement non-crowned eagle and other assorted hangers.

The bottom of this drum shows the marks from the catgut snares originally on the drum.

I know these drums are hard to say with 100% certainty what they were, but I think based on the paint scheme, the size, the hanger and sticks, and source (Germany) that it is probably a HJ snare drum.

Also take a good look at the photo of the boy. The hanger goes right through the rim of the drum unlike the military drums which had a metal device sticking up through which the hanger was attached. Most images I have seen, it looks like the hanger on HJ drums does go through the rim, however, I would not say that every single HJ drum did not have the military style hardware sticking up from the drum through which the hanger was inserted.

John

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
More drum images

Attachments

Other images and one of Angolia's pages about the snare drum. Note the metal ends to the sticks.

Attachments

This is the eagle hanger attachment to the drum rim I am talking about, missing on the HJ drums I have seen in photos. When I say military, I include other non-military organizations that used the full sized snare drum.

The paint scheme on this example is neither Wehrmacht or HJ of course, but the attachment is the same.

Remember, the DJ had black triangles, not red.

It also seems like the imperial eagle was supposed to have gone out in 1938 (according to Angolia) but was in use throughout the TR period.

Beitzen

Attachments

Does anybody on this forum have what they believe is a HJ or DJ snare drum?

Also interested in seeing if anybody has a HJ fife.

Beitzen

Does anybody on this forum have what they believe is a HJ or DJ snare drum?

Also interested in seeing if anybody has a HJ fife.

Beitzen

hi, ive had a couple of snare drums before, yours looks fine, ive even had a smaller size drum, perhaps for younger boys, ill try and get a photo or two for you,find a picture from my collection of both size drums being used. regards pete.

Attachments

Great thread, and great drums, do yours have any markings or maker's marks? I'm looking at a drum similar to yours but with a "military style" attachment like you say. I found a drum that sold on an auction site not long ago that has the same style attachment, but looks just like yours, and it's been brought to my attention here that the engraved dedication on it was to a WW1 veteran's organization. So, you may have something to your "military style attachment" theory.

Back