HJ / BDM Shirt

Thanks Received
Hi together,
i found this shirt online.
Can anyone tell me more about this shirt.

Thanks you.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Another picture

It's advertised as HJ/DJ Sportshemd Stamped 1942 & 100 % original :001_unsure:

Attachments

Hmm. I'm not at all familiar with this version. I will send the photos to Rob Newbourgh for his opinion. He is a collector of period sports items and uniforms and I value his opinion on items like this. He has no vested interest I am sure, so will give his honest opinion. I will let you know what he says about the item.

As usual Rob has replied quickly and given his thoughts of the item. Here is what Rob has told me after seeing the photos:

"Looks overall good to me.Too bad that there is not a better shot of the insignia, the stitching and an interior view of the stitching.
It is not uncommon for a person to get a period sport shirt and add an insignia; if it is done well and the insignia is not a fake, there is no way of knowing when the insignia was put on. These types of shirts were not regulation, so they come in various styles. Darin, I would add that I think that it is fishy that the insignia is covered by the sleeve. If these are the only photos that the seller sent, then I would be cautious. The insignia was made in this style, but fakes of it are fairly plentiful
."

So in short I think better photos would be needed of the insignia and the price should reflect that this may not be what it appears.

Many thanks for the info. I asked the Seller for a better shot of the insigna to check the stitching. The answer was he will not send more pictures!!

Many thanks for the info. I asked the Seller for a better shot of the insigna to check the stitching. The answer was he will not send more pictures!!

Refusing to send additional or detailed photos is normally not a good sign. IMO not worth the risk of getting taken on the item.

must agree there the diamond looks very poor and if the seller wont send more pictures there must be a reason so would leave well alone

steve

Yes, if the seller were confident I suspect that he wouldn't have folded the sleeve like that and he would send more photos. This looks like an old sports shirt with a copied cloth diamond.

i thought it interesting when darins friend says ''The insignia was made in this style, but fakes of it are fairly plentiful'' as i thought the bevo diamond to the right was the only accepted original?

funny after i seen the above diamond on the top you see this below today at waf a supposed ''vet find'' then the vets collected a fake at some point the left diamond is made the same as the one that started the thread imo

i will love to be told otherwise?

e2a, all sports suits, sports shirts, sports swim suits, bdm kletterwestes, etc seem to have the excepted diamond to the right that i have seen anyway?

Attachments

Last edited:
The one on the right is the accepted one as you say Ewan and it is described exactly in the regulations. The one on the left isn't described in the regulations I have here which are comprehensive up to late 1943. I would personally need more information before entertaining the idea that the patch on the left is authentic.

cheers for your opinion garry i think i have also seen another loose one lately maybe mili321 if not definitely with a euro dealer! i recognised it straight off gonna try and find the loose one again, some more london buses!

I agree that it looks odd, but also know Rob well and these sports insignia are his only focus, it's not like him at all to call out something as good if it's not. I will see if he has more information regarding the insignia.

I agree that it looks odd, but also know Rob well and these sports insignia are his only focus, it's not like him at all to call out something as good if it's not. I will see if he has more information regarding the insignia.

cheers for asking him again Darin , i didnt mean to insinuate anything if thats how it came across :thumb:

Darin is that the sport shirt/wear only collector that shows his collection on wrf/ytube if so his collection is most excellent!

Last edited:
cheers for asking him again Darin , i didnt mean to insinuate anything if thats how it came across :thumb:

Darin is that the sport shirt/wear only collector that shows his collection on wrf/ytube if so his collection is most excellent!

I don't know about WRF or youtube but here is a link to his book that just came out.

Sport and the Third Reich by R. Newbrough

I forgot to mail him so I will send an email tonight. He's very good with sports items and always helpful. He provided me with photos and video of the Jugendehrendienst triangle in wear that I used to own. It has been sold off as I got an offer I could not say no to. I'll send him a message regarding the insignia in question and see what information he has on it.

Here is a shot of what appears to be a black outlined "Sports Insignia" that Rob sent me a photo of. I've cropped the photo and enlarged the insignia portion, as the photo is not mine but Rob's. The insignia appears to have the black outline on it to me, and the complete photo is no doubt period when viewed in it's entirety.

Attachments

Hi Darin,

Very difficult to work with a tiny section of a photo of course but I understand your reasoning. It would be useful to know whether there any other people in this photo and if so, whether they are also wearing sports vests with diamonds. Is the photo dated? Does he have any other information on these patches other than this photo?

Anyway, going on what we see there and in lieu of a better look at his photo I think that the patch he shows is more likely to be the standard, regulation patch. The line around the outer edge of patch 3? Possibly just a shadow but I've lined up all of the patches in this thread so that we can see them all next to one another.

Patches 1 and 2 are allegedly period but look very different to one another and of course to patches 3 and 4.

The black lines on 3 are clearly different to those on patch 2. Patch 2 is also different in that regard to patch 1.

Logic is screaming "why so many differences? It's a little cloth patch for a sports shirt!!". In this case, a photo (Rob's) is insufficient imo to show that non-standard cloth patches were worn unless it shows more people in sports vests therefore allowing a direct comparison between the different types and shows any differences in size.

Attachments

Back