HJ / BDM Shirt

Hi Darin,

Very difficult to work with a tiny section of a photo of course but I understand your reasoning. It would be useful to know whether there any other people in this photo and if so, whether they are also wearing sports vests with diamonds. Is the photo dated? Does he have any other information on these patches other than this photo?

Anyway, going on what we see there and in lieu of a better look at his photo I think that the patch he shows is more likely to be the standard, regulation patch. The line around the outer edge of patch 3? Possibly just a shadow but I've lined up all of the patches in this thread so that we can see them all next to one another.

Patches 1 and 2 are allegedly period but look very different to one another and of course to patches 3 and 4.

The black lines on 3 are clearly different to those on patch 2. Patch 2 is also different in that regard to patch 1.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Logic is screaming "why so many differences? It's a little cloth patch for a sports shirt!!". In this case, a photo (Rob's) is insufficient imo to show that non-standard cloth patches were worn unless it shows more people in sports vests therefore allowing a direct comparison between the different types and shows any differences in size.

have to agree with you there one only has a black outline to the red sections whares Darins friends pic seems to have it around the white sections also?

thanks for the pic and link also Darin!

Last edited:
The photo is a single H.J. gymnast on a pommel horse. I don't know if the photo is dated or not. The photo is not mine so I don't want to post the entire photo as Rob owns it. Rob says that when viewed in hand under magnification that the black outline really stands out. I understand what you are saying regarding shadowing Garry. This is what Rob told me when I first inquired about the insignia with an outline.

"Here is an insignia that appears to be at least partially outlined in black. When you look at the original photo with a magnifying glass, the black line looks more apparent and consistent (ie not just a shadow)."

Items sometimes defy logic. To be safe I would stay with the known regulation pattern insignia that is widely accepted as good. I do respect Rob's opinion on sports items as he is very knowledgeable and has a lot of material on the subject. Perhaps additional photos or a mention of the black lined patch will be found in period documents or regulations one day.

I think that the strange look of the diamond with black is putting me off. I would be wanting more info from the period to believe that they are from it. Respect to the author Rob but one photo of this quality is not enough for me . Sorry

Thanks Darin,

Yes, Rob has the photo in hand so if he sees a definite line as opposed to a shadow that's useful info. We can be sure that the patch in his photo isn't 1 or 2 (post #21) though.

Back