Johnson Militaria - The Hitler Youth Axe

Now the "evidence" is an alleged photo of a "box" at some show years ago? Well shoot, that and the obtained from an old man in a seedy motel stories are enough to convince me, sign me up to buy a dozen (oops they are so rare that it seems Wittmann can only restock the "drying up" supply after he has sold his inventory). I guess I will have to buy two a time then! Ugh the hobby sucks more and more. It's no wonder so many give it up and just study and research instead of collect.

Now the "evidence" is an alleged photo of a "box" at some show years ago? Well shoot, that and the obtained from an old man in a seedy motel stories are enough to convince me, sign me up to buy a dozen (oops they are so rare that it seems Wittmann can only restock the "drying up" supply after he has sold his inventory). I guess I will have to buy two a time then! Ugh the hobby sucks more and more. It's no wonder so many give it up and just study and research instead of collect.

Couldn't agree more Darin.

I very rarely buy any TR stuff now, mainly just HJ knives now if anything, and am slowly selling off the stuff I no longer want to keep.

My main focus is Japanese and has been for quite a few years.

Regards

Russ

just had a look on WITTMAN'S SITE AND SAW THIS SO CALLED dj KNIFE WITH THE PAPER WRAPPER WHICH PLAINLY SAYS FOR hj and dj NOT SOLELY dj and his babble about the picture we have all been waiting to see. Makes me sick to see this nonsense :puke:

The issue sack that it has been kept in shows quite a bit of age and has some very old cellophane tape repairs. This is not important though as what is important is what’s printed on the face of the issue sack. It has the maker’s name, “Artur Schüttelhöfer & Co. / Solingen-Wald”. Beneath this is the hobby horse trademark. Printed below is the word, “Verschriftsmässige / Fahrtenmesser / für die / Hitler Jugend / und das / Deutsche / Jungvolk”. Beneath this is the statement that the knife is of first class steel, “Ia Gusstahl-Klinge”. The statement that is important though is translated above as, “Official Fahrtenmesser for the Hitler Youth and the Deutsche Jungvolk”. I have always felt that what we call a DJ knife was really the knife that was being made for both the Hitler Youth and the DJ after 1942 when the war was raging. This issue sack and accompanying knife proves this statement.
In the past, I have also seen a photograph of a Hitler Youth member wearing one of these “DJ knives” with the insignia on the scabbard. Unfortunately I have been trying to locate this photo for two years but I know it is here in my office somewhere and eventually I will find it. I believe that this is another “mystery” in the hobby that has been solved. So, to reiterate this sack proves that not only the DJ knives without the swastikas are original but also that the DJ knife with or without swastika also served as the Hitler Youth knife after 1942. A great thing for the hobby here! As far as I know this is probably the only example that exists.
Excellent. $1,695.00 :puke:

Mr Johnson usually refers to a "document" that he now considers as "lost".

He said the following in 2009 (see Wiki page for more detail):

"...relatively certain that I had some source document to work with concerning this particular model knife when I authored my Volume I of Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich during the 1970’s. However, as you might well imagine, I have literally hundreds of 1933 – 1945 documents concerning the edged weapon industry in Solingen during the Third Reich period, but, even if the particular source document cannot be found, I think that..."

This document, according to Mr Johnson, is an authorisation showing that the DJ wore a special knife. It has never been shown in any book or currently accessible public venue and its alleged owner has considered it "lost" for many years now. It cannot be seen as proof of anything and should, quite rightly, be fully and absolutely disregarded in any debate on these funny little knives.

The matter of the Wittman paper bag / DJ knife combo was debunked a while back along with his wild claim that standard HJ knives were being produced in the late 1920s but certain dealers are apparently not in the slightest bit interested in looking at new data and new, verifiable, conclusions. There is no earthly reason why any dealer should offer one of these "DJ" knives (or for that matter a ridiculous "HJ Axe") for sale in such assured terms. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and certain big-name dealers continue in their refusal to act and to endeavour to always treat customers and history with respect.

Could the flat head screwdriver possibly not be screwdriver, and possibly could it be... a paint tin opener? Just throwing a few theories around here now...... And lets not forget the comments a few years ago about a certain Mr Arthur Axeman... they went unnoticed i see, shoved under the carpet so to speak... it does seem to fit after you open up the thinking a bit.. Axe-Axeman ..coincidence? i think maybe not, 50/50 on this one at the moment - in fact no, with Johnson's "relatively certain", that has to be 80/20 at least

There is no earthly reason why any dealer should offer one of these "DJ" knives (or for that matter a ridiculous "HJ Axe") for sale in such assured terms. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and certain big-name dealers continue in their refusal to act and to endeavour to always treat customers and history with respect.

Here in the U.S. we have a slang term that refers to someone doing anything for profit. It references Benjamin Franklin the President pictured on the $100 bill.

It's all about the Benjamins!

Purely about profit and greed nothing more nothing less IMO.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Well, it would be useful to know that they see things the same way Paul but I doubt it. Certain items in their inventories have been discussed at length on this and other forums but they are all still there, with the same confident item descriptions and for the same prices so clearly they aren't listening and if they are, they aren't bothered.

... Certain items in their inventories have been discussed at length on this and other forums but they are all still there, with the same confident item descriptions and for the same prices so clearly they aren't listening and if they are, they aren't bothered.
Thats the benefit of not participating on any forum.

True.

Dodgy dealers! Here's a mantra I just made up for you:

"Let everyone do the talking for you, make sure that your sales pitches are ultra-confident and you shall never be truly doubted - even when you're outed".

And another, this time marked DGM- Germany.
Whatever DGM is supposed to mean i dont know, i was not aware that there was ever such an abbreviation.
The GERMANY is a nice touch though. Advertised on eBay as a rare WW2 trench axe/combo/tool

Attachments

ooooh the shame

Strange things here... all SOLD sales before the HJ axe (as well as after) are still listed as SOLD and visible on Johnson's site, but this wonderful and certainly rare HJ-Axe has been removed :usa
LINK in post 1 no worky-worky

A good job that screen shots can, and are, saved, for future reference!

I wonder... :) Yes, definitely good that they can still be referenced.

True.

Dodgy dealers! Here's a mantra I just made up for you:

"Let everyone do the talking for you, make sure that your sales pitches are ultra-confident and you shall never be truly doubted - even when you're outed".
And when you`re outed
Delete the link, clear the crime scene, what would folk think !
Hauptsache, es kommt kein Schiff mehr die Wolga hoch.

Back