BDM Württemberg Kletterjacke with red/black leader lanyard

Thanks Received
I am curious on a couple of things I'm hoping someone can help me out. I have not seen this colour lanyard before, there is a little button sewn onto the top left shoulder presumably for the lanyard. I originally got this ensemble from Ewan sold it and bought it back and intend on keeping it, at least for a while, how would the lanyard be worn?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

...I have not seen this colour lanyard before, there is a little button sewn onto the top left shoulder presumably for the lanyard

Hi John,

The colours are a valid combination for the BDM but the lanyard type is incorrect. Official lanyards for BDM and JM were not made that way. If we go for the option that this is a male lanyard (being used unofficially by a BDM member) the colour combination would be valid too but again, the HJ/DJ lanyards for this rank were not made that way.

I suppose that this might be a late, unofficial attempt by the wearer to show her rank using a wierd lanyard but the colours black/red denote a rank that would have qualified the wearer to use the higher leader uniform. She would not normally have worn the Kletterjacke (and if she did, not with a lanyard). Rank on the jacket for the BDM/JM higher leader uniform was shown by an embroidered patch. No lanyard was required. In summer, the lanyard would have been worn from left breast pocket to toggle. To cut a long story... I would err on the side of the lanyard being questionable.

Thanks Gary. It has been shown some time ago, when it belonged to Ewan, and no concerns were raised then? Apparently it was "fresh" to the market when he had it, and it hasn't been changed or altered. Say La Vie :)

Hi John,

Could you link me to the previous thread please? I must have missed it first time around.

I can't seem to find it atm Garry, and I have not the time or the inclination to trawl through old threads, but if you look at Ewan's profile picture (HJ-Collector) you will see the same uniform as it was, and still is

Ah yes, I see the pic. I can't find the thread either but I stand by my opinion based on the primary literature. Ewan may have more information on the circumstances that led to the button and the weird lanyard (assuming that got the jacket from the person who wore it or from the family or from someone who knows how the jacket ended up like that). We'll have to wait and see whether he responds.

yes i bought this piece locally from a guy , when in hand it all gels well , yes lanyard is not regulation (but neither is small brown bakelite shoulder button that is the same colour as the BDM/JM RZM marked buttons on the kletterweste , one on one) my thoughts at the time is private purchase , it looked tailor done , insignia is also sewn with quality and is behind the lining not sewn through , neither is the shoulder button also no show in the lining , the top front button shows the lanyard was worn there a long time ! tight up under the armpit the lanyard is brand new on a small spot where its always been tucked up under the arm also the rest is a lighter worn color. IMO 110% untouched or un altered.

know your pain trying to set it up John but its easy !!! lay the lanyard out flat send me a pic and i will edit it and try and explain it to you!

Back