BDM Wrist Watch - presented by a Reichsführerschule?

Thanks Received
I picked this wristwatch up recently off of Ebay. The back of the case has the BDM badge as well as RFS below. Above the BDM emblem is Fond "staybrite" indicating stainless steel and underneath the BDM is a serial number 128242. The exterior case is brass with steel strap supports. On the inside of the case is Made in France and a makers emblem and below that is Besancon, the famous watch town in France. Scratched inside the case is a name Holschep. One of the strap supports has been replaced at some time and the watch keeps excellent time. My guess is the watch was procured after the invasion of France. The professional addition of the BDM and RFS leads me to believe that these watches were awarded or given to the students? I don't think this was a single made piece for just one girl. I have never come across anything like this before. If anyone has any information on this or any other BDM watches I would love to hear from you.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

BDM Wrist Watch

Took a better picture of the back of the case

Attachments

The "Made In France" seems odd to me for a non private purchase watch endorsed by the RFS. Hopefully you did not pay a high price for this.

I've had over the years a number of French watches and all were marked made in France. So seeing the watch marked as such did not throw up any red flags. Germany had required country of origin labeling since the 1890's. If they did establish a number of watches for their schools from the newly occupied France then they would have needed to be marked with the country of origin to be imported into Germany. If that is how this watch came into existence then it makes sense. An item like this would have been worn for some time after the war as it was a practical personnel item and not a sought after souvenir. In any case it is an interesting item with a story to tell.

Mmm.. On balance I see this engraving as a post-war addition DonM. Female leaders who successfully completed leadership training at one of the Reichsführerinnenschulen were not awarded a badge so your theory that a watch like this may have been a private purchase alternative makes sense. However, the engraving shows the BDM achievement badge and the RFS font used on the male badge with the presence of the former making no sense. Just my opinion but nothing really adds up here for me.

It does seem to lean to a private purchase. I can envision the proud parents having her achievement badge engraved on the back and to commemorate her being accepted into one of the Reichsfuhrerinnenschulen. Instructing the engraver to place these on the watch would explain the combination. We shall never know. It would be nice if another watch would surface for comparison. I've been collecting for over forty years and have found that BDM items seem to be few and far between. Their clothing is an excellent example. Remove the insignia and it could be worn post war when clothing was in short supply. Once they out grew the clothing it became rags or discarded. I think it is finding items like a watch that keeps this area of interest alive. I'm sure there were countless items that we will never know about which only fuels our desire to keep investigating. It is great to have a community like ours which brings tons of knowledge to the table in our quest for answers.

Back