DJ FABRIC CLOTH PROFICIENCY BADGES OPINIONS.

Thanks Received
Hi guy’s opinions on my recent purchase
I’ve got one guy on the WAF saying they weren’t made? Now Joe the Moderator on there give them the thumbs up to the Cloth Badges
All help greatly appreciated. Plus I’ve got a Silver & Bronze in The Metal Version

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I’ve got one guy on the WAF saying they weren’t made? Now Joe the Moderator on there give them the thumbs up to the Cloth Badges
All help greatly appreciated. Plus I’ve got a Silver & Bronze in The Metal Version

Hi Stevo1,

I am no expert on DJ sports badges. But I believe there was only one class of DJ sports badge awarded, a Silver coloured metal badge and the cloth version is the black badge on white your third from the right patch.
Maybe the cloth badges were made but never issued ?, as to bronze and black version's of the metal DJ badge I think they are fantasy/fake items.
Can you please post photos of the rear of the bronze metal DJ badge you have, showing the RZM, makers mark and issue number.

Best regards...Ewan

Hi Ewan Here’s a few Snaps of the Bronze Dj
Hope it’s okay otherwise there’s gona be Murder lol joke.

Attachments

Hi Ewan Here’s a few Snaps of the Bronze Dj
Hope it’s okay otherwise there’s gona be Murder lol joke.

Hi Stevo1,

Not good news, I have checked all my HJ/DJ reference books and on the forum. And in The HJ part 2 book by JR Angola on page 159, it states " The badge took the form of the dull grey runic "S" it then goes on to describe the remainder of the badge. towards the end of the page it also states " The badge was awarded in one grade only, however in 1935 a black badge was briefly issued. So if only one grade of badge was issued then the bronze badge you have is a fantasy item as well as the bronze cloth badges etc.

Best regards...Ewan

This is all on the forum in different threads but I'm doing wine at the mo and will put some effort in tomorrow and will write more. However, as already stated there was only one level of the DJ achievement badge (came in a grey colour but when heavily worn the base metal will sometimes shine through in places) and the correct cloth patch is black on white. I got rid of my Angolia books a long time ago because they contain mistakes but I do remember discussing the Angolia claim about 1935 and the "black badge". I'll get back to this tomorrow.

This is all on the forum in different threads but I'm doing wine at the mo and will put some effort in tomorrow and will write more. However, as already stated there was only one level of the DJ achievement badge (came in a grey colour but when heavily worn the base metal will sometimes shine through in places) and the correct cloth patch is black on white. I got rid of my Angolia books a long time ago because they contain mistakes but I do remember discussing the Angolia claim about 1935 and the HJ Eisen level. I'll get back to this tomorrow.
Good morning Garry,

I agree the Angolia books are out of date and with lots of mistakes and the most up todate info on HJ/DJ is on this forum. But as discussed there was only one grade of DJ achievement badge issued. if Stevo1 badge ,had been a badly worn one showing the base metal thro the original silver/grey colour then it may have been an original, however looking at photos of the DJ bronze badge i believe that this badge was made to decieve the buyer and is not a badly worn version of the badge.

Best regards...Ewan

Hi Ewan,

Yes, I agree. I know that you already know this but just for general info, DJ personnel who were kept on as leaders instead of moving up to the HJ at 14 became eligible for the HJ achievement badge series based on age so any patches showing silver and bronze levels of the DJ achievement badge are therefore most definitely fantasies.

On Angolia's claim about a "black badge": the black (Eisen) level HJ achievement badge was discontinued in 1942 but nowhere in the regulations do I see that the DJ were eligible for this badge from Sept 1935 (introduction of the DJ achievement badge). Apart from the obvious fact that there were only three months left in 1935 for anyone to qualify for the badge anyway, the testing for the HJ black achievement badge was aimed at older boys. A 12-14 year old DJ boy is unlikely to have been able to pass the tests required of a HJ boy aged 15 so perhaps Angolia, when he says "black badge - briefly issued", means the illustration of the DJ badge shown in the order that introduced it.:

As can be seen, it is quite different to the badge that went into production. I can only imagine that Angolia thinks that the badge illustrated in the order was actually awarded before the design was changed to the one we all know. That sounds very far-fetched and I don't believe for a second that it's true.

Attachments

Hi Ewan,

Yes, I agree. I know that you already know this but just for general info, DJ personnel who were kept on as leaders instead of moving up to the HJ at 14 became eligible for the HJ achievement badge series based on age so any patches showing silver and bronze levels of the DJ achievement badge are therefore most definitely fantasies.

On Angolia's claim about a "black badge": the black (Eisen) level HJ achievement badge was discontinued in 1942 but nowhere in the regulations do I see that the DJ were eligible for this badge from Sept 1935 (introduction of the DJ achievement badge). Apart from the obvious fact that there were only three months left in 1935 for anyone to qualify for the badge anyway, the testing for the HJ black achievement badge was aimed at older boys. A 12-14 year old DJ boy is unlikely to have been able to pass the tests required of a HJ boy aged 15 so perhaps Angolia, when he says "black badge - briefly issued", means the illustration of the DJ badge shown in the order that introduced it.:

As can be seen, it is quite different to the badge that went into production. I can only imagine that Angolia thinks that the badge illustrated in the order was actually awarded before the design was changed to the one we all know. That sounds very far-fetched and I don't believe for a second that it's true.
Hi Garry,

Thank you, every day is a learning day. Great confirmation, about the so called silver and bronze DJ achievement awards and the black one. Notice that Weitze is still flogging the fantasy DJ achievement cloth patches and of course the fantasy DJ knife's at I think only 700 euro, what a disgrace.
So Stevo1 there you go, all the info you need to return these dodgy badges, Good luck.

Here are DJ leaders at a promotion ceremony who of course are not wearing the DJ achievement badge because they subsequently qualified for the HJ achievement badges as they grew older:

Attachments

Great photo

Great isn't it :) Not mine unfortunately. I copied it from ebay back in 2008. Here's another from the same event:

Attachments

Cheers Gary for all help given you guy’s are top notch…. Can’t fault you. Plus this Forum is very helpful for the DJ&HJ Collector…🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍

Just in case some member over there on that WAF thread reads it in the future you could post the below link so that they get the proper answer. That moderator doesn't have a clue..

Back