DJ Leadership Uniform

Thanks Received
Hello,

I am familiar with the HJ Leadership Uniforms, Ranks, Insignia etc... Can someone please tell me if the DJ had their own Leadership Uniforms or were they simply led by regular HJ officers? I know of the regualar DJ uniforms and table of rank system, just not sure about its senior officers uniform system?

Thank You,

Jack

Hi there,

There were many changes between 1933 and 1945 but in essence: the DJ had it's own rank system and leadership cadres that ran in parallel with the HJ. However, over time these were eroded with the highest DJ ranks being made gradually obsolete. At the highest rank/appointment levels, the DJ was eventually commanded by HJ officers with many of them having previously been DJ leaders in an equivalent DJ rank.

As far as uniforms are concerned, there were of course changes over time to the DJ leader uniform but from 1939 both the HJ and DJ higher leaders (Führerkorps) wore the same uniform. For a time, the DJ leaders wore a special rune sleeve patch to identify them as such.

There is a lot more to this so if there is anything specific that you would like to know about ranks, DJ uniforms etc please just give me a shout and I'll post it here.

Thank you very much Gary! Yes, it seems insanely complicated with so many branches of the HJ and DJ! In regards to the HJ Marine, did they first use the circular patch rank system of chevrons and pips or later move onto shoulder straps? I’ve seen several HJ Marine photos but no rank insignia?

The Marine-HJ used shoulder straps initially but later also used the circular rank patches (for leaders under 18) in the rank range Rottenführer to Oberscharführer. In the regulations I can't see an introduction date for these blue and white rank patches but they are all shown in a colour plate dated March 1942 in the book "Marine-HJ im Dienst".

You don't have permission to view attachments.

The DJ began to wear these patches (in dark blue only) after their introduction as noted in RJF Sonderdruck 7/38 dated 30.9.1938. Here the rank range was Hordenführer to Oberjungzugführer.

Attachments

Back