Early HJ Gefolgschaft flag from Bann 55 Lippe

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
Interesting flag for Gefolgschaft 4, Unterbann II, Bann 55 Lippe. A regulation dated 21.3.1935 introduced a new numbering system for youth units with a follow-up order issued a week later stating that the Unterbann number was no longer to be included into the unit number which gives us a nice ball-park for the age of this one and the reason for it looking as it does.

The veteran pictured below was with the 258th Field Artillery Battalion which was part of US 2nd Armd Div which did indeed push through Lippe in early April 1945. In fact, I went over ground covered by the 119th Inf Regt (also part of 2nd US Armd Div) during the attacks on the Teutoburger Wald at that time and found quite a lot of US webbing snaps, canteens etc. Best spot I found was a position on sandy ground where six US infantrymen had each left a small pile of empty cartridges and some live rounds after an attack on a road junction. Must get out with the old detector again soon actually. Anyway, the flag:

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Source

Attachments

I always find it interesting to match up the artifact with a time, a place and sometimes a name..it truly brings the history to life..!

Photo of early style HJ flag .

Attachments

This photo shows a flag with patch one can consider also to be an early flag,
due to the older form of patch.
A flag like this was considered to be a traditions-flag according to an order
from March 21, 1935. This order specified what a traditions-flag was and
what was allowed to be done with it. The number 166 is Bann "Taunus"
from the district West Hessen-Nassau at Bad Homburg.
As far as is visible there is no Unterbann-number! With the date May 11,
1933 the Unterbann-number was changed into Bann 166.

Attachments

Back