Help ID HJ Stammführer Bann 537

Thanks Received
Hello all
I have this photo and im trying to maybe find a name? His bann numbers represent he is from Kirchdorf. His triangle should also be Südost Oberdonau. I also believe his ribbon bar to be that of a Sudetenland ribbon. What is interesting is the back. It says he was murdered by the Czechs in 1945 but this seems to be in a ball point pen, so definitely been added at a later date. Also says Bann 585 but his photo definitely shows 537. Also seems to have been cut at the bottom. I would love to just hear everyones opinion. Any insight at all in welcomed :)
Thank you
Josh
(If any of my information is wrong, I am still learning so please let me know :) )

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Interesting photo. Let's take the obvious first. As you wrote, the number of the bann 537, Kirchdorf, more precisely Kirchdorf an der Krems in Upper Austria (Oberdonau). That is quite far from any Czech border. Let's have a look at the back. It says: Gottfried, Nikolsb..., Österreicher (=Austrian).
Well, Österreicher/Austrian is not his origin (although that too), but his family name, as you can see from the signature. And the place is also revealed to us, since it can only be called Nikolsburg (Mikulov in Czech). It has a beautiful castle and lies directly on the border with Niederösterreich/Lower Austria in the Czech State. So the man must have been transferred at some time, the photo could be older. The dedication says: "Meinem guten und treuen Hannes (i.e. Johannes) zur Erinnerung"/To my good and faithful Hannes in memory.
Unfortunately, the place and date are cut off at the bottom, but one can guess that it should read 1944.
So if he worked as a Nazi exponent in the Protectorate, it is quite likely that he was murdered in 1945. If you want information on this, please have a look there: Expulsion of Germans from Czechoslovakia or Brno death march at Wikipedia.
End of expertise :biggrin1::yo:.

Gosh, I forgot something: The Bann number on the back, 585, fits the story perfectly: It's - fanfare - Nikolsburg/Niederdonau.
Don't wonder why Niederdonau. On 21 November 1938 the town and the district became part of the German Reich, Sudetenland, but on 15 April 1939 they were incorporated into the Landeshauptmannschaft Niederdonau, from which the Reichsgau Niederdonau was formed on 1 May 1939.
But that's enough with the history lecture ;-).

As part of my project here I realised just now that I have a Gottfried Österreicher as the Bannführer (in the rank of Stammführer) of Bann 585 from 1942 until 1943. I have the names of his predecessor and his replacement there in 1942 and 1944 respectively but it's possible that Gottlieb's tenure went on into early 1944.

Nice, Garry. It's always great when such interpretations are confirmed by other sources. The signature was really simple here, though.

Hello,

Attached are two articles in which Gottfried Österreicher was mentioned.

Regards Pele

15.02.1943:

22.11.1943:

Attachments

Back