HJ Armband from student at NPEA Naumburg

Thanks Received
Central Illinois - United States Of America
A well worn HJ armband with a nice addition to the inside. The original owner's clothing tag nicely hand stitched to the interior. Jungman Stükgen and NPEA Naumburg. Armband shows signs of having been displayed with two holes and thumb tack impressions at the center stripe.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

this is really a beautiful piece that has a story to tell.
That's how I read it: At first glance, the Jungmann's name actually reads like Stükgen. Now on the one hand, that would be a somewhat strange name, although not completely inconceivable (Google finds nothing, though).
Secondly, if you look closely, you notice that the supposed k has an underlength, like the g next to it. This reinforces the suspicion that it is a ß, also called sharp-s, which is often translated into other languages as ss. Stüßgen is still a rare name, but it probably sounds much more likely than Stükgen. And now it gets intriguing: according to the address book, a woman Klara Stüßgen lived in Zeitz in 1947 and was a pensioner. Your young man may have his roots there because Zeitz is only 30 kilometres away from Naumburg.

Hello Jack and Lance,
"
Sorry but I see a "K" and not a "ß" because the top of the letter is to the right, which necessarily means a " K ". The name is therefore STÜKGEN.
Another one from NPEA Bensberg.

Best Regards

Eric

Attachments

Hi Eric,

No problem with a different opinion.
But please take a look at the graphic I quickly made. You see three different Fraktur scripts; the first two are from the twenties/thirties, the Mars is considerably older.

In these (and all the others) you can see: the ß (in German Eszett, pronounced ess-tsett, [ɛsˈtsɛt]) is a ligature of the standard s (long-s) and the z. The first one always has the cross stroke to the right.

The only unusual thing about the name tag is the loop of the z to the right instead of to the left. But that also exists, as you can see here:

You might think this one in particular is a k, but it's not. Important: the k never features a descender but the standard-s and the z do.

All in all, and taking into account that Stüßgen is a German name and Stügken very unlikely, I am very confident with the interpretation as ß.

Nice armband too, Eric.

Attachments

Yes, quite clearly Stüßgen. Stükgen yields zero results.

Hello Jack,

when I look at the gothic letters Fraktur, it could be that the name is STÜSZGEN. I also see that this name still exists in Germany.

Attachments

Hey Widukind, just googled "nachname STÜSZGEN" or "STÜSZGEN". Tumbleweed...?

Hi Eric,

I am one hundred percent sure here (which I rarely claim) that it is an ß. The descenders are proof. And the very last faint doubt has been removed by the Kanzlei fracture, where the loop of the z also goes to the unusual side.
And of course the proximity between Zeitz and Naumburg is the icing on the cake, although one would have to check more closely whether there is a family connection. There is, after all, an exact address, in case Lance wants to continue this.
By the way: if you stumbled across a spelling "STÜSZGEN" in capital letters when googling - that's because of exactly these capital letters, as there was no "capital" ß there. To make it clear that the name was not Stüssgen, it was not written STÜSSGEN but STÜSZGEN.
But these are subtleties (as well as the correct use of the syllabic-ending s) that only a few people know. But they help enormously to unmask false documents or forged stamps. For example, the ligatures are often missing on fakes.

Hi Lance,

thank you. Your enlargement is very precious. The name " STÜSZGEN. " originates from Saxony. However, Jack's version is interesting and plausible too.
I still vibrate at my age when I see NPEA Items. The flame of the collection is not yet extinguished in me. Congratulations.

Best Regards
Eric

My last contribution on this, I don't want to turn this into an argument either:
The name is an extremely rare one, there are probably only about 40 people with this surname in the whole of Germany. It is probably Rhenish, which is supported by places of residence such as Bergheim, Mönchengladbach, etc.. Unfortunately, its origin is unclear, but it could be related to a occupational title.

For a final comparison (thanks for the enlargement, I'll borrow it quickly, Lance).

And we should remember that we are looking at a non-professional handiwork.

Attachments

Last edited:
Not to be picky but you spelled Nuremberg incorrectly and a mistake easily made by English speakers who pronounce berg and burg similarly although to German speakers there is a big difference since berg means mountain and burg is referring to a town. I never make this mistake since the day I told a ticket inspector during the DDR days that I was going to Schwarzenburg. He looked puzzled and he consulted his book then shouted Schwarzenberg. my spell-check now underlines Schwarzenburg with a red line should I make a typo. I do not get a red line for Nuremberg nor Nürnberg. It is such an important city for the Nazi Party that we should probably take care with the spelling.

Hello Jean,

Thanks for your comment, and welcome to the forum, but you are mistaken. Naumburg is not Nürnberg/Nuremburg in Franconia (Bavaria), but is in Anhalt. Perhaps you have heard of Naumburg Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Naumburg - Wikipedia
The name means "new castle", namely of the Margraves of Meissen, which was already located there around the year 1000. Burg means castle, Berg means mountain, as you said.

Hello Jean,

Thanks for your comment, and welcome to the forum, but you are mistaken. Naumburg is not Nürnberg/Nuremburg in Franconia (Bavaria), but is in Anhalt. Perhaps you have heard of Naumburg Cathedral, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Naumburg - Wikipedia
The name means "new castle", namely of the Margraves of Meissen, which was already located there around the year 1000. Burg means castle, Berg means mountain, as you said.
Forgive me and thank-you for your correction. I clearly did not read the Opening Post properly. Sorry.

burg is a castle and is not referring to a town!
berg is mountain!

But this already is being mentioned!

Naumburg belongs to the Burgenlandkreis.

Nürnberg - German
Nuremberg = English
You might want to reconsider your answer, Wilhelm, because both explanations in my dictionary clearly refer to burg as a town:

Back