Introduction of Genuakord for HJ/DJ shorts

Garry

Admin
Thanks Received
In this thread a pair of Genuakord shorts was being discussed and at the time I couldn't nail the period when Genuakord was introduced. However, I just came across some information regarding the introduction of Genuakord for HJ/DJ shorts and thought I would share it.

Genuakord was brought in as a stopgap measure in 1938/9 because the RZM was unable to produce sufficient amounts of the standard cotton twill cloth to manufacture not only the shorts but all manner of uniform items for the RAD, Wehrmacht, postal service, railways and the Wehrmacht. As a result, the RZM decided, in 1938, to begin producing Genuakord to fill the gap and to allow production for the HJ/DJ to continue. This probably explains why cord shorts sometimes have the standard "HJ-DJ Kniehose" label and sometimes labels where Genuakord was mentioned.

The source is a letter from RZM München to the RJF Organisationsamt dated 6.5.1939.

Correction:

it would seem that Genuakord was "resurrected" for shorts in 1938/9 because actually, as early as 1934 it was used for the shorts on the official DJ winter uniform.

Source: Bekleidung und Ausrüstung der HJ 1934, p24

Last edited:
Great, another gap in knowledge filled.
I would like to add that Genuakord was already approved material for the (short) DJ -Winterdiensthose alongside Velveton since at least 1936, initially with a watch pocket, then without it from 1936 onwards. This also explains the wearing of DJ buckles.

I would like to add that Genuakord was already approved material for the (short) DJ -Winterdiensthose alongside Velveton since at least 1936, initially with a watch pocket, then without it from 1936 onwards. This also explains the wearing of DJ buckles.

Indeed it was :thumb:

There was another letter from RZM München to the RJF Organisationsamt dated 5.6.1939 regarding those fairly ugly sports shorts in satin. The RJF complained about the quality and usefulness of them and wanted a return to twill shorts but again, the RZM stated (as with the HJ/DJ uniform shorts) that this wasn't feasible as there just wasn't the capacity at the time to produce enough of it.

Last edited:
I love this kind of story in History!! This kind of detail makes this forum very interesting. And these are not interpretations but information from the RZM. Thanks to you two

I love that as well.
Here's a picture of one of those DJ shorts, so it doesn't stay abstract.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

You don't have permission to view attachments.
Well done Garry and Jack,

Great bit of research, thanks for passing on this information, I always used to wonder where these cord type of shorts fitted into the Dress Regulations.
Another mystery solved.

Best regards...Ewan

Thank you, Ewan. Nice to see you back here.

Back