Kampf Spiele?

Poloberst

Thanks Received
Can anyone explain the purpose of these games? Were they local or national in competition, though held in one city? Thank you.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Here is another image of a later one.

Attachments

Hello Poloberst

I have these 2 tinnies which appear to be from the same series as your 2.

The one from 1938 is from Swaben, as can be seen from the text on the tinnie. The other is from 1939, and like yours without text, only with a year.

My hypothesis is that those after 1938 are also from Swaben. Mine from 1939 has manufactures from Stuttgart, which is in the area. I see that one of yours is from Pforzheim, and it is also in the area - so it fits well.

Here is a map showing where Schwaben is

Let's see if others here on the forum also have an opinion on these tinnies.

Michael :denmark

Attachments

The Kampfspiele were sports competitions at a high level of competitive sport. Usually at Reich level and divided into summer, winter, indoor and water sports.
They included the 20 sports classified by the HJ as worthy of promotion: mountaineering, boxing, ice hockey, figure skating, speed skating, fencing, football, apparatus gymnastics, handball, hockey, canoeing, athletics, cycling, rowing, shooting, heavy athletics (wrestling, weightlifting, judo), swimming, sailing, skiing and tennis.
Often the performances of the young people were equal to those of the men. There were national and sometimes even world records. So we are not talking about school sports here, but about high-performance sports.
The importance is shown by the fact that the Kampfspiele were still held until 1943, despite the war. The ones in Chemnitz took place right before the outbreak of war in 1939, and there are reports that they even had to be abandoned.

The Swabian Games are a number smaller, at area level, took place in 1938 from 30 June to 3 July in Stuttgart (Adolf-Hitler-Kampfbahn Stuttgart, today's football stadium of VfB Stuttgart).

Thanks to Jack for this excellent explanation - really very instructive with so much information . Well done !!!

It's always a pleasure to learn from your comments JACK, thank you.

Many thanks to both of you. To give the truth the credit and not to adorn myself with borrowed plumes, I pass on most of the praise to Mr Buddrus ;-). For example, with regard to the naming of the individual sports.

Back