Marine HJ Reichsseesportprüfung B sleeve insignia

Thanks Received
Hello everyone!

I think it's good, but I would like your opinion.

Thanks

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to help, but better no expertise than a false one. Hopefully, if someone gave you a thumbs up (or down), I could tell you what it took to pass this exam if you were interested.

Attachments

We had a discussion about these round patches back in 2019 here and I have still yet to see any primary literature that introduced them and which gives an exact meaning for them. MHJ qualification patches were, certainly up to 1942, oval and not round. I have a colour table here dated 1942 which shows the oval patches in use at the time and the Seesportprüfung A, B and C patches are all oval and do not have an anchor. A patch is shown like yours with the anchor but it is oval, has just one chevron and is annotated Seesportfunkerabzeichen. There is also a further patch for MHJ Wehrfunker which again is oval and has a "Z" towards the top of the anchor. All of this is not to say that your patch is fake of course, I wouldn't know one way or the other, but it would be very useful to get to the bottom of when these round MHJ patches were introduced. Clearly it is post-March 1942 as the colour table from that date doesn't yet show them.

In my opinion, it is not a question of whether or not there was such a badge.
Here on the forum I found at least two or three original portraits of boys wearing this badge.
The only question is when the shape changed.

I didn't suggest that the badge never existed during the TR. I am more interested in the introduction date and in seeing a primary source that mentions them. All I can say with certainty is that the round patches did not exist prior to 1.3.1942 because if they had, they would have been shown on the document that I mentioned (it shows the uniforms and insignia of the Marine-HJ as they were at that point).

Just as an aside, the 1943 NSDAP OB shows a round MHJ qualification badge alongside the standard oval versions. However, on the circular patch the colour of the anchor is different and the publication states that it was for the MHJ Fahrtenanzug. The latter might be the key but more primary documentation is needed.

An older post showing the badge in question worn, albeit at a rather unusual place.

Ah yes, I see that I added a cropped pic to that thread from the 1.3.1942 source that I mentioned above (y)

If we take it as a given (which would still have to be proven by a document) that this badge stands for the K-version of the Seesportprüfung, its introduction would have to be in temporal connection with the altered examination. This regulation came into force on 1 April 1943.

Back