Triangle patch for Bann 354

Thanks Received
Hello! I am a writer for young adults and children, based in Italy. I am currently writing a book based on my uncle's experience in the HJ. He has passed away many years a go, so I am rebuilding some information from some old pictures of him I have found. Right now, I am trying to understand what is written on his Triangular Patch (it is quite out of focus in the picture, as you can see in the attached pic).
I know thah his Bann number on his shoulders is 354.
Also I know he lived either in Duesseldorf or in Bad-Kreuznach, depending on the period.
Can anyone help me?

(I know there is full list of triangula patches on the forum, but apparently I lack the privileges to see it).

Thank you!

carabas

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi and welcome,

The Bann number 354 fits perfectly with your given Bad Kreuznach, it is the Bann Unternahe (the Nahe is a tributary of the Rhine) with its seat in Bad Kreuznach.
The triangle isn't very easy to interpret, but I'd read it West (which is the Obergebiet)/Westmark (Gebiet) rather than West/Moselland. So your picture could be dated between September 1938 (because of the black boards) and January 1941. Moselland would be after that.

Thank you!
It's probably 1943 or 1944, so I'll go with West Moselland. You've been extremely helpful!

You're welcome.
A little more information is still to be discovered:
He was probably in the Gefolgschaft 11/354, at least I read the number on the button as 11.
And he wears the (green) achievement badge of the Nachrichten-HJ (signals) on his sleeve.

Yes! I knew he was in the signals field because I am told he was called to the front in the ardennes in dec. 44, where his job was to lay telephone wires between the trees. He was 14, at the time. I believe around 50 kids left Bad Kreuznach with him, and about 5 returned (he being one of them).

So he was one of the lucky few.
If we can help with anything, just ask. And good luck with your book.

Good morning Carabus and Jack,

A photo of a young man in uniform a blurred arm triangle a numbered shoulder board and button and a rediscovery of a lost piece of family history, the HJ Research forum at its best.
Thank you Jack for sharing your knowledge.

Best regards......Ewan :spain

Last edited:
Back