White HJ uniforms - Japan visits in 1938 and 1940

Thanks Received
Helmond, Netherlands. My hometown is located near
One do not often see HJ, dressed in white. The included photograph is from a
Japanese newspaper and shows members of the HJ, during their visit in Japan
in July 1938. Note the specific youth-exchange insignia with Japanese and German
flags being worn.

About the HJ visits from 1938 and 1940 I wrote an xtensive article in the US-magazine
"Military Advisor" number 4 from fall 2005 (pages 18 through 29). The badge was in
cplor shown at the backpage.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

For the "buckle-fans" I have an extra: the wearing of white leather belts and shoulder-belts
by leaders and enlisted ranks. Often its is said white was worn only in Italy. Well? Enjoy!

Enlisted ranks:

Not the best quality photograph, due to the newspaper screen, but often it is said that
white visored caps did not exist for the HJ. Here is the proof they did, worn in Japan!!
The photograph was planned to be included in my later volume 6 about the headgear-
series. But what the heck: HJ-collectors are always interested, isn't??

Attachments

Thank you for showing the photos Wim. The shoulder straps on the boy in the first photo appear to have a light colored piping and numerals. Do you know which color was used for the numbers and piping?

as far as I was able to find out, some of the guys that were send to Japan were from the
HJ-Streifendienst. This however I could not get stated for 100%. They had a specific size,
had blond hair and none of them did wear glasses. This was to show the Japanse their
Germanic appearance.

In this document (colorized?) the uniform is the same color as the tropical outfit. I don't know if it was really the case or just an error :noidea:

As you said piping of the shoulder straps seems white

Attachments

Last edited:
Hello Lauri,

I will see I can find my old file about the article I wrote. As far as I can remember some article
stated white. One photograph with Sumo-wreatlers, I showed in the article, clearly gives a view
there was no difference in the trousers, jacket and socks. Hope I can find the file, as it is
somewhere stockes in my basement.

Well Lauri, I think the guy who colored the photo did now know the colors.

I found my material and in the beginning I was confused when I read the word
khaki-green. This color however was worn by the Japanse guy that visited Germany
in return.

In the HJ newspaper "Die HJ" from December 24, 1938 during a march to the Fuji-
mountain they did wear, as mantioned: "the white tropical dress, which was brought
from home (Germany)". With various occasions the white dress had done its good,
as it was noted to be a "dünner weisser Anzug", for use when it was hot (35 degrees).
The photograph I have seen clearly show the white from the socks being the same
color as the white for the short pants and jacket. In another publication it was mentioned
that when the boys did wear this dress, the officers had to wear white also.

To answer Gefolgschaft:
the chosen for the boys was done after special courses (Ausleselehrgänge). The boys were
mentioned to be: " besonders tüchtigen Formationsführern, ausnehmend begabten Anwärtern
für die Reichsakademie für Jugendertüchtigung in Braunschweig und Nachwuchsführern, die
bereits an veratnwortlicher Stelle Auslandsarbeit geleistet haben". So, quite fanatic leaders
from units, candidates from Braunschweig and coming leaders for the HJ that already had
done work for abroad.
Maybe for a better look, the white piping was chosen, but from some photographs it is
obvious the piping is somewhat darker, so red would be possible as well. They did wear
the triangle according to their homeland district.

Your explanation is very clear Wilhelm, thanks a lot

Attachments

Here the insignia in its special box.
The Japanese text: NICHI DOkUSEISHOONEN DAN KOOKAN KINEN,
which roughly means "Japanese-German Youth Group Exchange Commemoration".
In the lid of the box it is noted the insignia was made by Hiko Nagashima from
Tokyo.

(Credit: Harry Hinds)

Attachments

Thank you Wim , your allways appreciated with your contributions.

Last edited:
Wasn't there another badge as well?

Attachments

Yes, the one you show is the badge from 1940 when six Germans went to Japan
and six Japanese guys did visit Germany. The six in Japan got it there; some were
given in Germany to members of the HJ. As far as researched the only one of this
type that ever was found by me, was in Namibia and is in the hands of the son from
the HJ-member who got it at Zweibrücken.
In my article about youth exchange badges I showed it in color and I also did show it
in wear. I will see I can find the photographs and then will post them.

Hello

This model was found by a fellow on a market place in Japan.
What's your opinion please ?

Attachments

Just rediscovered this thread. Many thanks for your valuable information Wim and also to Jo and Lauri for adding the second tinnie and the day badge and taking the thread even further. Thread "stickied" :thumb:

Back