Assmann maker markings

Thanks Received
I'm a little confused so I´m wondering if anyone here can help me? I have a belt buckle that has manufacturer marking M4 / 39 and the letter "A" for Assmann. But I have also seen belt buckles which have manufacturer's mark "17" also made by Assmann. Did Assmann have different manufacturer marking numbers or is one of them fake?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hello Osvald,
Assmann was probably the most prolific maker of HJ buckles. I have possibly 15 different markings on buckles just from this one maker. We have to remember that the RZM as an organization changed the regulations of how to mark the buckles many many times throughout the Third Reich period of 33-45. RZM 17 is an M1 code while M4/39 is the same maker with an M4 code. There are also UE, KH, MA codes , there was the pre RZM control period also where makers would either not mark the buckles or simply put the makers name and or maker logo on the buckle , and a transitional period where name, log and RZM maker code was used...... Cloooecting youth buckles is really a study of the RZM and its regulations if you collect buckles by makers mark! I hope this helps...

Back