B17 Boards and a photograph of a B18 member, Information needed please

Thanks Received
Hello everyone,
Ive been trying to do some research but got a bit confused and I know that someone on here will be able to help me. I will say what I have found first and please help me if i'm wrong or fill in the missing.

B17 boards, Oberbann 5, West Hessen-Nassau, Ludswighafen, Unterbann IV (4) rank of gefolgschaftsführer.

B18 boards (in the photo) Oberbann 5, West Hessen-Nassau, Ostpfalz, Landau, Unterbann V (5)

I thought that the B boards stood for Bayerisch, a special designation for the 'Hochland' and 'Franken' areas in southern Germany. So why does Hessen-Nassau districts have this designation also?

I also have this photo of a pair of B13 boards in wear. Shown in the photo is a shoulder strap of B13 which is bann Isar from the Hochland district, Freising to be exact (also to note, the photographers stamp is located in Freising). This mans rank was gefolgschaftsführer.
But why does this man have no Unterbann?

Enjoy
Josh

Thank you for any and all help :)

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hi,

The Unterbann numbers on straps were phased out by 1.4.1936 (announced Nov 1935). You'll sometimes see examples of straps where the Unterbann number was unpicked in order to keep them in service.

A Gebiet order from Gebiet 18 Franken dated 1.1.1936 discussing the reorganisation of the Banne states that the "B" stood for "bayerische Vorsatzbuchstabe" (bavarian prefix letter). It was used until 1.1.1936 as a prefix for certain Banne in Gebiet Hochland, Gebiet Franken, Gebiet Pfalz-Saar, Gebiet Bayrische Ostmark (later Bayreuth) and Gebiet Hessen-Nassau.

Just a little expansion on the Banne that you mentioned:

Bann B13 Isar (Bann HQ in Ismaning), Oberbann 1 (Oberbayern), Gebiet 19 Hochland. Redesignated as Bann 313 Isar.

Bann B17 Ludwigshafen (Bann HQ in Ludwigshafen), Unterbann IV, Oberbann 5 (Rheinpfalz), Gebiet 13 Hessen-Nassau. Redesignated in Jan 1936 as Bann 317 Ludwigshafen.

Bann B18 Ostpfalz (Bann HQ in Landau), Unterbann V, Oberbann 5 (Rheinpfalz), Gebiet 13 Hessen-Nassau. Redesignated in Jan 1936 as Bann 318 Ostpfalz.

Thank you so much Garry, still trying to get my head around it all.
When you say Oberbann 1 (oberbayern) or Oberbann 5 (Pheinpfalz), how do you find/get this information on these certain areas? Sorry if its a really stupid question.

prefix for certain Banne in Gebiet Hochland, Gebiet Franken, Gebiet Pfalz-Saar, Gebiet Bayrische Ostmark (later Bayreuth) and Gebiet Hessen-Nassau.
And again, probably a silly question but what determined places being allowed to use the B boards? As Hessen-Nassu is not very close to Bavaria.

Thank you again for your help

Definitely not a silly question and it's something I've wondered about too. I'll look into why some Hessen-Nassau Banne had B prefixes and if I find anything I'll definitely let you know.

The Oberbann information comes from a 1934 book from the Reich Youth Leadership that I have which shows the exact structure of all parts of the Hitler Youth at that point :thumb: The Oberbann was quite a short-lived structure and was essentially a group of Banne in a common geographical area. It was headed up by an Oberbannführer but as I say, the structure was deprecated fully by the 1st of July 1934.

Brief explanation of why certain, apparently non-Bavarian areas bear the B for Bavaria.
This has something to do with a treaty shortly after the Congress of Vienna for the reorganisation of Europe, namely a treaty between the Empire of Austria and the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1816. The content was a mutual exchange of territories in which Bavaria received (back) parts of the Rheinpfalz/Rhine Palatinate and of Pfalz-Zweibrücken/Palatinate-Zweibrücken. So these territories were indeed Bavarian in those old times.

Unfortunately, the English Wikipedia article is very meagre, but at least the territories can be found there.

After the end of the Empire, a territorial reorganisation took place. But we must remember that the Bann numbers were almost always based on old Imperial regimental numbers, and this is probably the reason for the historical Bavarian B.

Last edited:
Brief explanation of why certain, apparently non-Bavarian areas bear the B for Bavaria.
This has something to do with a treaty shortly after the Congress of Vienna for the reorganisation of Europe, namely a treaty between the Empire of Austria and the Kingdom of Bavaria in 1816. The content was a mutual exchange of territories in which Bavaria received (back) parts of the Rheinpfalz/Rhine Palatinate and of Pfalz-Zweibrücken/Palatinate-Zweibrücken. So these territories were indeed Bavarian in those old times.

Unfortunately, the English Wikipedia article is very meagre, but at least the territories can be found there.

After the end of the Empire, a territorial reorganisation took place. But we must remember that the Bann numbers were almost always based on old Imperial regimental numbers, and this is probably the reason for the historical Bavarian B.
You're just wonderful Jack, Thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Back