Brotbeutel identification?

AHR

Thanks Received
I've come across the following breadbags, three of which may or may not have some association with HJ - could any of you tell if they're authentic, and if so who might have used them, where and when? All are ebay and etsy finds.

The pictures here are with ruler and canteen for scale, dimensions are approximate:

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

"Big" - this is the biggest of the four, and I think an adult model with no association to the youth groups. It came as part of lot with the "Werner" below. It has the standard stamped/dished metal buttons, and a divider inside the front panel to make a pocket. I'm not certain, but judging by the divider it's always been a darker khaki than the others.
bag body: 32x26cm

Attachments

Last edited:
"Werner" - so called because of the name written inside the flap in a solid hand - "Werner Jungblut." Unlike the others, it has leather edging around the flap. It's fairly small and has the standard dished metal buttons. The canteen strap tab and d-ring tabs are riveted rather than sewn. It does have a divider behind the front panel, in a much brighter khaki color than the outside bag.
bag body: 29x22cm

Attachments

"Green" - This one used to have a belt hook strap, but it looks like it's been cut away. It has the metal "knot" buttons on posts, with leather under the buttonholes on the belt loops. It does have a divider behind the front panel.
bag body: 29cmx22cm

Attachments

"Strap" - this one only has a shoulder strap with a fairly cheap stamped buckle. It looks like it never had belt loops of any kind. It does apear to have a party stamp on the inside flap, and what looks like a name in a child's handwriting - "R. Frede (?)"
It has the metal knot buttons on posts, a front divider, and the cloth feels fairly light weight. It feels like something made for smaller kids, but I don't know that for certain.
bag body 28x20cm

Attachments

Finally, a few unrelated questions.

About the canteen - the snaps on the cover appear to have been painted a tannish color: was that common?

Did younger children have smaller canteens or mess tins made for them, or did they make do with the adult sizes?

Was there any doctrine or common practice as to what went in front of the divider in the breadbag? Miscellaneous personal effects as opposed to food in the main body perhaps?

It's my understanding the official bags were at one point made by RZM. Were there private companies making them as well, and if so were there preferences or regulations about that?

Attachments

Hi,

That's a lot of questions that hopefully a few more people here can answer.
First of all, the most important thing: The RZM had never produced a single product. Its task was to ensure that the products manufactured by the private companies looked uniform and met the regulations and requirements of the Party and its organisations. To do this, the RZM issued licences to the companies which had to pay heavily for this permit. A fee was due for each individual product, the payment was evidenced by the RZM tag.

It is clear that the production of each individual product was regulated down to the smallest detail. For example, the Brotbeutel mit Band/bread bag with strap had two dozen measurements.
There was only one standard size, the same goes for the Feldflasche/canteen.

By the way, the stamp on your last bread bag is one from the HJ (see second line).

I hope that helps a little for now.

Reactions: AHR
Thank you Jack!

I've found a copy of the Preisliste which hopefully will answer some of the who-used-what-when questions.

I appreciate the help - and the close eye!

Always a pleasure.
If you need the measurements, just let me know.

By the way, in the third line of the stamp mark you can see the number of the Gefolgschaft and the Bann, so you could pinpoint the origin. But that is really hard to identify.
The name can be R. Stede as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: AHR
Back