Deutsche Jungvolk tunic opinion

Thanks Received
guys how are you
I recently bought this beautiful outfit. the person I bought it from got it from a house clearance in germany. can someone give me more information about this type of vest, because I'm not into uniforms. in the pockets I also found loose tobacco and an unmarked edelweiss with no trace of a pin, it may have been sewn because there are traces of sewing thread on the collar. I would also like some explanation how to hang the flute historically correct because I don't know if that's how it should be. Thank you

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Last edited:
Hi there,

This is a DJ-Führerbluse (DJ leader jacket). It was originally introduced for higher DJ leaders but came into use for lower and mid-level leaders in 1937. At this time it was planned that the DJ would wear two shoulder straps as opposed to the normal single strap on the left shoulder and as you can see, your jacket has buttons on both shoulders in the later style. You may be able to see where the straps had been sewn in prior to their removal.

The Austrian HJ-Gebiete (Südost Oberdonau being one of them) plus three other in the south of Germany were authorised to wear the Edelweiss badge on the collar of their uniforms which explains why you found it in one of the pockets.

Hi there,

This is a DJ-Führerbluse (DJ leader jacket). It was originally introduced for higher DJ leaders but came into use for lower and mid-level leaders in 1937. At this time it was planned that the DJ would wear two shoulder straps as opposed to the normal single strap on the left shoulder and as you can see, your jacket has buttons on both shoulders in the later style. You may be able to see where the straps had been sewn in prior to their removal.

The Austrian HJ-Gebiete (Südost Oberdonau being one of them) plus three other in the south of Germany were authorised to wear the Edelweiss badge on the collar of their uniforms which explains why you found it in one of the pockets.
hello Gary,
Thanks for the info! The vest does indeed show sewing injuries on both shoulders. The buttons and belt hooks on the vest also match the marking m5/76. only the 4 buttons on the sleeves are from a different maker, but all 4 are the same. do you think these knots were restored post war or could this have been period? Can you also explain to me what the difference is between a single and double shoulder piece and whether it is a good idea to give these new ones that go with it? As I say I hardly know anything about uniforms. would be great if you could help me a bit further. Thanks

It looks to be a well-worn item so any repairs could well be from the period, particularly buttons which could of course be ripped off in certain situations. Yes, there is nothing wrong with adding orginal shoulderstraps now. My opinion is that it would have been done back then so doing it now makes no difference in my opinion. If all parts are original it is simply an original, repaired item. You could go for a pair of DJ shoulder straps or a pair of black HJ shoulder straps as these combinations are known from period photographs. One thing to bear in mind though: the straps must have one of the following Bann numbers to be a match for the Südost Oberdonau triangle:

It looks to be a well-worn item so any repairs could well be from the period, particularly buttons which could of course be ripped off in certain situations. Yes, there is nothing wrong with adding orginal shoulderstraps now. My opinion is that it would have been done back then so doing it now makes no difference in my opinion. If all parts are original it is simply an original, repaired item. You could go for a pair of DJ shoulder straps or a pair of black HJ shoulder straps as these combinations are known from period photographs. One thing to bear in mind though: the straps must have one of the following Bann numbers to be a match for the Südost Oberdonau triangle:

okay, I'll take into account the ban numbers you say when I buy one. In which book can I go deeper into tunics and fabric items?

We have some very knowledgeable members here. What information are you looking for specifically?

Anything, but is always nice to have a good book. because where do you get the information from? for like al the ban numbers and the types of uniforms,.. and stuff

Anything, but is always nice to have a good book. because where do you get the information from? for like al the ban numbers and the types of uniforms,.. and stuff

I've got a huge amount of original Hitler Youth orders, regulations, period books and magazines etc and the Bann number lists on this forum are also the most comprehensive that you'll find but I've never published a book and have absolutely no intention of doing so ;)

Seriously though, we've been going since 2009 and there is a huge amount of information on all aspects of this youth movement on the forum. Try a search and if you don't find what you're looking for just give us a shout.

sure, if I have any questions about youth movement in the future, I know where to ask them! By the way, one last thing about my coat, what kind of pins would have been on it? because I clearly see traces of badges. then I can start looking for it as my next assignment.

His left chest pocket would have been where he wore the HJ membership diamond and any relevant day badges or sports badges. His right chest pocket was for the achievement badge and shooting badge (only the highest level of each for which he had qualified was worn). He wouldn't have qualified for the Potsdam badge (and therefore the HJ honour badge) as indirectly evidenced by the lack of gold tress along the bottom edge of the sleeve diamond which is good as you're saving money there ;)

thanks, I take it into account. When I bought it, it had a sport badge but unfortunately it fell off and lost the day I bought it. Can you also tell me about how I hang the whistle historically correct because I undarstand there are different ways for this? And what does the different colors of rope mean?

The lanyards colours showed the rank of the wearer (from 1939 the wearer's appointment). The number of lanyards in use increased over the years as new ranks and appointments were introduced. This is quite a large subject area so I would recommend searching for "Lanyard" in the Cloth Insignia sub-forum to get an idea and if you then have specific questions please feel free to post them.

Photos show that if a whistle was being carried, that it was attached to the lower loop of the rank/appointment lanyard which was then attached to the front left chest pocket button. Once the pocket flap was closed, this allowed the whistle to hang securely inside the pocket.

Back