Does anyone have information on these pins found at an antique show?

Thanks Received
Hello, I picked up these items at an antique show over the weekend. I was told that the triangle shaped item is a Hitler Youth pin (possibly a hat pin) with the back unfortunately missing its clasp. After researching I found that most of these pins will typically have "m/<number>" on the reverse, where mine only has an "18"....along with the RZM initial. Has anyone any knowledge on these? I am wondering if I purchased a reproduction now. Or, is this a post membership badge, or just a number indicating the age of the person awarded the pin? I can't imagine that I picked up member #18's pin.
I also have these other two pins which I was hoping to learn more about if possible. One appears to be a member's pin which lost its paint along with the clasp. I can see traces of red and black paint when under my microscope.
I cannot find any information on the third, red pin anywhere. This one seems like it may have possibly been worn on a jacket?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

The first one looks to be the remains of a rubber document stamp. I can't read it fully but it looks like "NSDAP" and the other word will likely be a place name. Did you horizontally flip the picture? If not, it isn't a stamp.

The second is a late-production NSDAP member badge. This would normally have a painted finish. I have no idea if it's an original.

The third item is an original HJ cap/hat badge by the maker RZM 18 that has the splints missing. The maker mark is transitional and therefore doesn't have the M1 prefix yet.

The supposed stamp (first and second pic) reads "Kreisamt Alzey". It would therefore be a stamp of the administration. Strangely enough, Emig sells an identical one, which sets off alarm bells. How likely is it that two of these pieces (I don't think the office ever had many more of them) have survived the passage of time? And why is it not blue like all the others? And - most importantly: as a stamp, it should be cut inversely (as you have already said, Garry).
So, excluding the stamp, I have no idea what this item could have been used for.

The first one looks to be the remains of a rubber document stamp. I can't read it fully but it looks like "NSDAP" and the other word will likely be a place name. Did you horizontally flip the picture? If not, it isn't a stamp.

The second is a late-production NSDAP member badge. This would normally have a painted finish. I have no idea if it's an original.

The third item is an original HJ cap/hat badge by the maker RZM 18 that has the splints missing. The maker mark is transitional and therefore doesn't have the M1 prefix yet.
Very interesting, thank you. The backing is what made me come to believe that it could be some sort of pin. The picture hasn't been flipped and appears just as it would if you were looking at it while placed on a table. It is magnetic and sticks to a magnet while the other two do not.
There are small remnants of paint on the second item which can be seen under a magnifying glass/microscope.
Thank you for the feedback, it is much appreciated.
Any idea on value? I don't plan on selling them, but just curious if my $50.00 USD was an okay price for all three pieces. *I am normally a coin person, but will also collect some WWII items as a side job.

The supposed stamp (first and second pic) reads "Kreisamt Alzey". It would therefore be a stamp of the administration. Strangely enough, Emig sells an identical one, which sets off alarm bells. How likely is it that two of these pieces (I don't think the office ever had many more of them) have survived the passage of time? And why is it not blue like all the others? And - most importantly: as a stamp, it should be cut inversely (as you have already said, Garry).
So, excluding the stamp, I have no idea what this item could have been used for.
Thank you for the feedback. Please excuse my ignorance, what is "Kreisamt Alzey" and Emig? I am more involved with collecting coins and have very limited knowledge on this. I typically won't purchase items which I know nothing about, but these caught my eye and looked like interesting items to add to my small WWII collection. A few items received from my grandfather, who served.

Hi,

Emig is a militaria dealer. If you search Google for "emig militaria" you'll see the item that Jack mentioned earlier.

With it being magnetic I wonder if half of the Kreisamt item is missing then? Possibly used with a metallic backing piece as a proof seal/closure device for official documents or something like that?

The Kreis was and still is an administrative district with this one being Alzey (a town in Rheinhessen). The Kreisamt would translate as district authority or local authority office.

I would think that the price you paid was okay.

Hi,

Emig is a militaria dealer. If you search Google for "emig militaria" you'll see the item that Jack mentioned earlier.

With it being magnetic I wonder if half of the Kreisamt item is missing then? Possibly used with a metallic backing piece as a proof seal/closure device for official documents or something like that?

The Kreis was and still is an administrative district with this one being Alzey (a town in Rheinhessen). The Kreisamt would translate as district authority or local authority office.

I would think that the price you paid was okay.
Thank you very much. This forum is great, thank you also for having me aboard. Perhaps I'll share other pieces.

Yes, Garry is right. A Kreisamt is the highest executive administrative authority of a district. In Hesse (which included Alzey) as well as in a few states in Germany they were called that, but mostly Landratsamt.

Official documents were usually sealed with paper stamps (Siegelmarke) of the respective authority. I really have no idea what this thing here was good for.

Regardless of that, I also think that the price for everything together was a good one. It's a pity that the pin system of the HJ badge is missing.

If you are interested, this is the city of Alzey.

Yes, Garry is right. A Kreisamt is the highest executive administrative authority of a district. In Hesse (which included Alzey) as well as in a few states in Germany they were called that, but mostly Landratsamt.

Official documents were usually sealed with paper stamps (Siegelmarke) of the respective authority. I really have no idea what this thing here was good for.

Regardless of that, I also think that the price for everything together was a good one. It's a pity that the pin system of the HJ badge is missing.

If you are interested, this is the city of Alzey.

Definitely, I am interested in any information available, thank you.
Difficult to tell what type of material the red was made of before it aged. Here is a side profile of the metal pin extruding from the back.

The dealer who I purchased these from had a second hat pin. Now I almost wish that I would have taken that off of his hands as well.

Attachments

Thank you for the sideways picture. Unfortunately, it leaves me just as clueless. I have never seen anything like it.

Here's a pic of your RZM 18 as a membership badge in intact condition, in case you haven't seen it yet.

Coins are also a very nice field of collecting. I used to do a bit of it myself.

Last edited:
Thank you for the sideways picture. Unfortunately, it leaves me just as clueless. I have never seen anything like it.

Here's a pic of your RZM 18 as a membership badge in intact condition, in case you haven't seen it yet.

Coins are also a very nice field of collecting. I used to do a bit of it myself.
Well thank for the effort and other details. I will be sure to report back if I find anything out about it. I like to think about how it could have managed to make its way to northern, rural Michigan.

Thank you for the intact picture as well.

I started coin collecting after finding a silver quarter in my pocket change a few years ago. I have a pretty impressive collection now. Even a few German third reich reichspfennig coins from WWII and pre war era.

Well thank for the effort and other details. I will be sure to report back if I find anything out about it. I like to think about how it could have managed to make its way to northern, rural Michigan.
It would be great if you could find out something about this strange piece. It is a pity that it cannot answer the last question itself.

Back