Does anyone recognize this tornister pattern?

AHR

Thanks Received
Does anyone recognize this tornister pattern?

I purchased this thing on eBay a year or two ago before I learned anything - rookie mistake, guilty. At the time, I thought from the nice fur and earlier tab arrangement for the Kochgeschirr that it was an earlier model. Then it arrived and I was perplexed. It was sold without straps, but when I went to replace them, I discovered the slots for the shoulder straps were too narrow! I finally found a narrower set of straps sold by a gentleman in France that fit it perfectly - and those turned out to be RZM marked. (The wider strap in the comparison photo is a reproduction, but it matches in size and shape to the straps from an RZM original tornister I had at one time.)

So.. what is this thing? Assuming the narrower straps were originally made for a pack like this, I wouldn't think the design at least was post war, even if this particular model might be. I'd originally thought perhaps this was a political pattern - something intended to fill out the ranks in newsreels but that wouldn't actually be carried out on into the countryside for actual use. However, the PL pack specifications I found in the '36 RZM guidelines uses the normal wider straps that hook onto a belt in front.

There's no maker marks on the pack itself I can find. Some of the leather looks a bit artificial, but I'm not sure. The rivets in place of stitches suggests midwar or later, do they not? Also I'm not certain, but I think that red reinforcing strip you see at the inside top of the main body is cardboard of some kind rather than rawhide, and I don't see the nettle cloth wrap on the wood.

So what is this? Some mid/late war hodgepodge from available tooling and materials? A niche homemade political item? Some auxiliary pattern that was never important enough to document? Even a postwar movie prop or Eastern European tourist bait or something? For what it's worth, the last owner says it was sold by a militaria company in California, but has no idea what its earlier history was. Oh - and the long fastening straps on the flap look to have gotten a lot of use, though that could have just been from a kid using it from a bookbag in later years.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Could this be the M34 SA Tornister? Wim Saris would be able to say whether it is or not I would think.

Reactions: AHR
Oh well. Thank you both regardless!

I'd wondered if it was SA because of the color, but the '36 specification at least still had I think the cartridge pouches in the flap, which this lacks. And the various construction shortcuts (rivets, cardboard, no fabric reinforcement on the frame) still have me thinking mid-late war, or knockoff.

Speaking of, I ran across a photo a while back of a bunch of BDM girls on a train platform for camp, and you can see the cartridge pockets on one girl's tornister. The photo wasn't dated, but I imagine they were still using WWI leftovers at that point. Or at least the poorer kids that had to borrow from the organization were.

Back