Exposing the fake “Alfred Stübbe” HJ Arbeiter-Jugend badge.

Thanks Received
I know that Jo already mentioned that this is a fake, but I’ve tried to do my best to explain (in a few groups on FB) how to tell that it’s a reproduction.

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Many collectors and dealers still claim that this is an original full maker marked HJ badge… some even claim that it’s a rare badge as well.

This is probably due to the combination of the type of attachment, the maker marking, and the general appearance of the badge at first glance.

But don’t get fooled and waste your money!

There are a lot of details that are not visible to the human eye on this and other reproductions. So, it’s necessary to get a bit of help from the collector’s best friend in this hobby… the microscope🔬

If you don’t believe in microscopic examination, there is no need for you to read any further…

Okay! Let’s move on… First of all, you need to keep in mind that a lot of these “old” reproductions were manufactured back in the 1970s and 1980s, which means they are 50+ years old by now. A lot of things happen in half a century… fairs, traveling from country to country, shifting hands from collector to collector, and storage in collections or at dealers.

When you examine any TR enameled badge, you need to know and understand the process of manufacturing an original enameled badge in Germany 100 years ago and the materials used.

I will briefly explain how an original TR badge was manufactured. First of all, the die for the particular badge was engraved by a die master. The brass or iron planchet gets die-struck. First stage enameling and baking of the enamel. First polish of the enamel. Second stage enameling and baking. Final polish of the badge. Soldering on the attachment.

There are two very important and significant differences between an original die-struck glass enameled badge and a cast soft enameled reproduction. A die-struck badge is struck under enormous pressure, which means you get clean smooth edges, straight lines, and the detailed design from the die. A reproduction is cast in a mold and will always have uneven edges with signs of casting, rounded finishes on straight lines, and general “blurry” details. An original badge was made with glass enamel powder which was baked in an oven at high temperatures and then polished. The process of glass enameling required skills, the right equipment, and time, unlike the use of soft enameling used on reproductions. Soft enamel is a paste and it’s applied on the cast reproduction and then air-dried at low temperature or baked in an oven at low temperature. There is a huge difference between the final result of an original glass enameled badge and a soft enameled reproduction. It’s impossible to achieve the shiny glassy look using soft enamel. Soft enamel has a “pale” appearance, is often unevenly applied, and has tiny fracture lines when it’s dried.

I obviously never bought the badge in question because I know it’s a reproduction, but my good friend Jimmy examined the badge years ago and made these microscopic images I use in the post.

As you can see in the first image, the reproduction has a rough beveled edge! As you know by now, an original die-struck badge always has a smooth even edge. It’s impossible to make a beveled edge on a die-struck badge. So this fact already tells you that it’s a cast reproduction.

In the second and third images, you can see the rounded tips on the sunrays. An original badge has nice straight sunrays. Furthermore, you can see the thin fracture lines on the soft enamel and general signs of casting.

In the fourth and fifth images, we take a closer look at the soft enamel. As you can see, the soft enamel has been unevenly and insufficiently applied. Once again, you see loads of signs of casting.

Finally, let’s take a (microscopic) look at the maker marking. In the final seventh and eighth images, you can see the rounded tips on the lettering of the maker marking. As mentioned earlier in the post, you already know what that means…

This turned out to be a much longer post than I expected, but there is a lot of information and knowledge which can be applied to any original die-struck glass enameled badge or cast soft enameled reproduction.

Credits to our very own member Jimmy72 for the microscopic images.

Attachments

Nice piece of research.
There is also a small clue in the company name. The postal district is correct, but it was not common at the time to include full stops and spaces in it.
The image shows the address book from 1933.

Attachments

Nice piece of research.
There is also a small clue in the company name. The postal district is correct, but it was not common at the time to include full stops and spaces in it.
The image shows the address book from 1933.

Thanks for you feedback Jack. The Stübbe maker marking on the reproduction is copied from an original tinnie.

You are welcome. Since Jo has retired, I thought I would share some of Jo’s knowledge and research… after all, that was his mission in this hobby. Cheers

Is Jo completely out of the hobby? Someone else mentioned that a couple of years ago but I didn't really believe that he had stopped. That would be a real shame. I miss his humour, his research and the drama that both often caused among the "ruling elites" within the hobby :biggrin1:

Is Jo completely out of the hobby? Someone else mentioned that a couple of years ago but I didn't really believe that he had stopped. That would be a real shame. I miss his humour, his research and the drama that both often caused among the "ruling elites" within the hobby :biggrin1:
Yes... he has walked away from the hobby completely...
sold off every hobby-related item he owned, including his Party Badge website...
sold everything..

and yes, it's a shame...
his posts were great, his knowledge was vast, and he shook things up tremendously..
hopefully, he will return...

Yes... he has walked away from the hobby completely...
sold off every hobby-related item he owned, including his Party Badge website...
sold everything..

and yes, it's a shame...
his posts were great, his knowledge was vast, and he shook things up tremendously..
hopefully, he will return...
Damn... thanks for letting me know. Is he okay? I know that he had some health problems so I hope that wasn't the reason for him stopping.

Damn... thanks for letting me know. Is he okay? I know that he had some health problems so I hope that wasn't the reason for him stopping.
yeah, I knew about the stuff that was ailing him...
perhaps it played some role, but I think it was the faking, the cliques, the know-nothing parrots who occupy most of the forums, the robbing of the average collector by the dealer class...
I think he just had his fill, and cashed in his chips and walked away...
Like you, I hope at some point he comes back... but he has pretty much vanished.

Yes. As TXGauleiter wrote, Jo has decided to permanently withdraw from the hobby.

To quote him, “I’m done with Herr Hitler.”

At the end of last year, I bought and took over his forum along with two other long-time members.

I agree that it is a huge loss for our hobby. Fortunately, we have decades of Jo’s knowledge and research to draw upon…

Thankfully, Jo’s decision is not due to health reasons.

Cheers.

Back