Fantastic shot of a NPEA Potsdam members Wardrobe and studio portrait

Thanks Received
Hello all
Here i have a fantastic image of an NPEA members wardrobe. Lots to note here. I would love to see what other can see and spot in this image. After some research, I found the poem on the door was by Hanns Johst (on the left hand side). I believe i was told that the shoulder boards at the top are WW1?
Please enjoy and any replies are welcome
Josh

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

Hello,

Indeed, this photo is very interesting for all the details and I like it.
I confirm that the shoulder straps, top left, are those of an officer from the WWI.
This NPEA Member was called Karl and was from Westfalen.
I see the picture of Heinrich Himmler hanging on the door.
Here is the Potsdam set where this photo was taken.

Thanks for sharing
Best Regards
Eric

Attachments

Hello,

This NPEA Member was called Karl and was from Westfalen.

Indeed, Eric. The name is Karl Ferdinand Mundt. Wundt is also not excluded, both are very rare names in this spelling, Mundt is however recorded in Potsdam. The type of initial letter is non-standard in both cases.

Such neatness has to be seen to be believed. This old script can be confusing to modern Germans. Not very long ago I sent a note from the back of a photograph written in the 30s to a German of 25 years of age living near Münster. I firstly thought he could not be bothered when he said it was too old to make out but I gave it a second thought and I believed him. I wanted to get a school spelling book with the early 20th century examples but could not afford the asking price. I wanted to teach myself how to form the letters. Upon reading what members posted here, I was hoping it was an M because the DDR spymaster in The Spy Who Came In From The Cold was called Mundt but on inspection it does rather look like a capital W. An M, I thought, would not have such rounded bottom loops. As a schoolteacher, I always preferred to test my students with multiple choice answers because I did not have to decipher what might be handed up to me, sometimes looking more like Egyptian hieroglyphs. Ha!

"M" in the Kurrent/Sütterlin scripts does have rounded bottom loops. "W" has one rounded loop and one sharper one. However, this character looks more like an Italic W. It was somewhat common for surnames to be in Italic; however, the "undt" seems to be in Kurrent, so it's hard to tell.

A superb 1st type jacket with large unpleated hip pockets and leather buttons. The color of the pants too is amazing

Back