Genuine white BDM shirt RZM style

Thanks Received
I am collecting BDM items since more than 25 years and in my opinion nothing was harder to find than a genuine white BDM shirt in pure RZM style .

Why is it so difficult to find a simple white shirt with breast pockets that once was worn by millions of young girls? On one hand during the Third Reich most families did not have any money for uniforms prescribed by the RZM. On the other hand children quickly grow out of their garments and the purchase of a new uniform shirt was soon necessary . Do not forget, that all mothers during the Third Reich were able to sew very well and I would guess that nearly 80% of all white BDM shirts were manufactured by mothers . I compared hundreds of BDM portraits - and only a minority show girls wearing the RZM style white BDM shirt .All others wear self sewn white shirts sometimes with only one pocket or even without any breast pocket.

The main reason however, why you will hardly find a real BDM blouse to purchase is, that these shirts after May 8, 1945 - a time of pure distress and shortage - almost all were used as regular summer shirts. One had only to exchange the typical BDM buttons - if that happened at all, because on a school trip to Bavaria in a former HJ-Home in 1974 I still drank coffee from coffee cups, that all were still marked with a swastika - that indicates that in the late 50s nearly nobody really would have felt disturbed discovering the old Nazi insignia being still in use.

Today I want to share my BDM shirt on detailed photos with you. Maybe the detailed photos will serve you to detect the numerous fakes that are offered from on the market today. I bought this shirt about 2 years ago. Hope you will like it.
You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

I do like the Name-Tag with the initials.
My mother used to wear the same kind in her clothes just shortly after the war.
So here you have another "green flag" that it is an authentic item that someone really wore.

Thanks Christian, the same tags even I have worn as a a child during the 60s . They were sewn into our sportswear because children sometimes change or lose some of their clothes. And I remember that even clothes during the 60s were
considered to be worthful and precious because people did not have much money.

It is my thought that many items were worn as everyday clothing post war, after all insignia were removed. Many shortages and lack of money caused people to use what they had. This could be one reason why a plain white BDM blouse is difficult to find.

I share your opinion Gefolgschaft. Without the buttons it is only a nice white summer shirt and so thoudands of such shirts will have be worn after 1945 until they got out of fashion .

I share your opinion Gefolgschaft. Without the buttons it is only a nice white summer shirt and so thoudands of such shirts will have be worn after 1945 until they got out of fashion .

This goes for a lot of clothing-items: skirts, pants, dark blouses and so on.
The "Teufelsmütze" and or brown berets were given another color. I did
wear one when I was about six. The stripes were no longer visible.

Me and "Kees" the dog from my grandmother, when I was six (1948).
Me, wearing changed HJ pants, when I was five (1947).

It also is a fact for the worn hats from the RAD females. Remove the insignia
and yo have a nice hat.
Other items were given another color and so one was having a good tunic or
longs pants. From some organizations there was not needed to make changes,
just remove the insignia (DAF-Festanzug, NSKOV, Kriegerbund etc.). One
could go nicely dressed to the church or whatever event or meeting.

Attachments

Vielen Dank für die netten Hinweise Wilhelm Saris. Dem ist nichts mehr hinzuzufügen.
Thanks for your advice and the nice hints Wilhelm Saris. There is nothing to add.

Here is one of mine , I have 3 BDM/JM blouses , two white and one gray .

Attachments

Stunning pictures joecool - I very much like your BDM shirts . Note the variety of pockets that is typical for BDM blouses. Sometimes you can see ten different BDM shirts on photos that show 15 girls . The same with shoes .It seems that
girls mostly have worn there regular shoes and only a minority were able to purchase the prescribed BDM shoes. And... the earlier the BDM photo the less girls wear the district sleeve triangles.

I would guess that many many old BDM blouses that once have been worn still "sleep" anywhere here in Germany not recognized as what they once have been used for . Is there anybody else there who might publish photos of his BDM blouse?

Back