Golden HJ Honor Badge – information is required

Thanks Received
I would appreciate if someone can share some information about this golden HJ honor badge of mine. It has a quite low membership number ”3252” and maker marked ”FB” and hasn´t the usual RZM code marking. Who was the maker and how unusual is the piece?

You don't have permission to view attachments.

Attachments

All of the first 40,000 badges (minimum) issued by June 1936 were made by the sole contractor Hoffstätter. Garry uncovered that here How many makers of the Hitler Youth Golden honour badge were there? I seem to remember that Jo Rivett didn't like the FMB badges at one time but he seems to have changed his mind in 2020 for some reason and then said that FMB was an alternative MM for Hoffstätter but I can't find the post where he explained that. RZM 15 (Hoffstätter's normal MM at that time) would be normal on a badge with your serial number and that's all I can really say.

In this thread Garry and I both asked Jo about the FHB badges and about why he had decided to include them

Me

Garry

He said this

You'll have to make of that what you will.

I got it many years ago from Detlev Niemann. As far as I know he had good knowledge about such items.

Hi, dealers want to make money and ex-dealers live off that money. FMB is not a confirmed MM.

I have tried to find items with this kind of maker marking. It wasn´t easy, but I actually found a RLB stickpin manufactured by Ferdinand Hoffstätter, Bonn with the same maker mark FHB. Interesting.
Well, I don´t have a problem with this Golden HJ honour Badge. As far as I´m concerned it´s period.

Attachments

I don't want to speak for Crack but I don't think that he was calling your badge a fake. The FHB MM is a bit of a mystery because we definitely know that Hoffstätter was the sole maker in the beginning and that genuine examples of the firm's early badges were marked "RZM 15". However, I can't see anything wrong with your badge and it has exactly the same serial number stamping as Hoffstätters "RZM 15" honour badges so we can, I think, presume that FHB honour badges are also good originals.

I have a project here that puts names to honour badge serial numbers and from looking at it I can see that badges very close in number to yours were issued to personnel in either Bann 15 Minden or 138 Siegen-Wittgenstein in Gebiet 9 Westfalen. Your badge will have been awarded likely in 1935.

Nice one Jack. I was struggling to remember why the FHB badges were considered suspect and that was it. I wonder if Wim V has changed his opinion on the FHB badges since then? Jo Rivett did for some reason as Crack pointed out earlier in the thread but no reason was given. Wim is a member here but hasn't visited for quite some time.

I haven't been a member over there for years now but if someone were to fire off a PM, perhaps with a link to this thread, he might let us know his thoughts on these FHB badges.

Many thanks :thumb:

Edit: just noticed that he looked at this thread today.

I will try to post a few of my Reichssiegers to be back on track here on the forum. ASAP I will take a look at the pictures in this thread. In general I haven't study the FH badges into the fine details. Maybe Jo examined a piece under the microscoop? However what I do remember is that the dot pattern is different with the 'normal' Hoffstätters.

Regards, Wim

I noticed that I recorded this FH badge as controversial in my article about the Hofstätter badges. It's not easy to claim that this version is good or bad. I only wonder why such a badge exist and at the same time the accepted version is known with extreme low serial numbers? If the accepted RZM 15 badge was only found with higher numbers one could assume the FH badge was their early type. But that's clearly not the case.

Regards, Wim

Back