Handbook of the Hitler-Jugend

Thanks Received
Central Illinois - United States Of America
I am a big fan of the book Handbook of the Hitler-Jugend by Wilhelm Saris, who of course is a member here. This is a reference that I literally consult almost everyday. it is a massive work of nearly 800 pages. Wm has stated that quite a bit of material was not included as the book was simply becoming too large. Have often wondered what the reference would have been like if everything was included and the book perhaps was completed in two volumes. Published in 2009 by R. James Bender the first 300 books were numbered and signed by the author. My book is number 233. I am confident that many members here are also owners of this work. Feel free to add the number for your book to this thread and/or share any thoughts or comments you may have. Lastly, thanks to Wm for his research and efforts regarding this book and others .....

I still regret mr. Bender did not want to split the book in two volumes, but that is what it is!
He in fact even regretted having done the heavy handbook, as the costs for shipping were
quite large.

When I worked for the headgear-series "Headgear of Hitler's Germany" the HY-organization
would have been next to be released, but that book also grew into an enormous monster
and I had to split it into two volumes. This was the reason the book never was finished, as
Roger could not make a final decision. He told me to hold it for the near future.

Another subject was chosen to be first: civil organizations. Due to the death of mr. Bender
volume 6 will never come, which is a real pity. It would have covered the use of the state
eagle (in general); Reichsbahn and its related organizations; Klein- and Privatbahn; further
Bahnschutz; Post and Postschutz. It would have had about 440 pages, which much unknown
facts and many beautiful photographs.
I have in my hands the complete lay-out, but that's the end. It will, never be released, for
various reasons. And so was volume 7 with Dt.Jägerschaft, German forestry (Weimar and
the many German states and Third Reich), Forstschutzkommando and Zoll in all its aspects.
It is on a shelf and there it will be forever. I am not looking for a new publisher.

I am writing about my last subject now: Hilfszug "Bayern" and Reichsautozug "Deutschland".
A subject not much known about by most collectors. It will be my last project, as I have
decided this one to be the last and not to write any articles anymore! The magazines that are
available do not interest me very much!

To inform: I do own number 1 for the HJ-handbook and as far as I can remember Roger had
nr. 2. Further, my "working" copy is numbered 32. I once had a list with numbered books,
which I provided to friends and interested persons. I cannot find this list anymore!

hello. i personally have 2 copies of this book, got it for around 600USD. it was in great shape, still was in the original shrink wrap when it arrived. one is highlighted to crap to be used in future reference, other one i accidently did give it a very tiny almost unseeable stain on one of the photos that were on the page i was looking at. indeed is a amazing book and i been meaning to get it for a while. please excuse me for being late, just recently joined this forum.

cheers.

You paid a lot for this book, but everyone has to decide for themselves what they want to spend. Definitely a very interesting book, which should not be missing from any HJ collector, as it contains a lot of information. For me it is a reference work, which I still look at very often after 6 years. That's why it looks so used.:001_unsure:

hello. i personally have 2 copies of this book, got it for around 600USD. it was in great shape, still was in the original shrink wrap when it arrived. one is highlighted to crap to be used in future reference, other one i accidently did give it a very tiny almost unseeable stain on one of the photos that were on the page i was looking at. indeed is a amazing book and i been meaning to get it for a while. please excuse me for being late, just recently joined this forum.

cheers.

I bought my copy of this indispensable book in 2015.

I was VERY lucky when I found a - according to the product description - used copy at Weitze for € 68, - + postage € 10, -. When the book arrived it turned out to be brand new and still in the original shrink wrap.

Since I use it a lot, it has gradually become a bit used, but it's OK, I did not buy it for exhibition. :biggrin1:

My copy is not numbered and signed.

How many copies is it actually printed in ???

Michael :denmark

My copy is not numbered and signed.
How many copies is it actually printed in ???

Michael :denmark

Michael, I honestly do not know the number of actually printed books.
I never asked Roger about it. Many years ago Roger had printed 1,000
copies or more of his books, but I would not be wondered as the handbook
was just 500.
I just sold my last copy. I do not have any idea what will hapen to the
stocks, Roger once had. I asked his son, but he did not reply!

Michael you know my email-adress or? Let me know and I can sign a sticker.

very nice! mine is not numbered and signed as well, sadly, however it is the first edition. certainly you had a better price but considering i got 2 of them and it is very rare, i say that it was decently priced.

cheers.

I bought my copy 3 years ago, still shrink-wrapped and for 80 euros. It was money well spent, and now I also know what the function of this decorative field on page 9 is. Unfortunately, it is empty on mine.

did send you a PM.

Now I self-edit my new books with just a limited edition.
I have all control and so the new books will have a number
and will be signed.

Here the positions for a signature for my Reichsbahn-eagles book
as well as gorget book.
You don't have permission to view attachments.

There is also such a position for my book about HZB and RAZ
and will be included also in my future headgear-books, which
are in progress.

Attachments

mine was new condition @ $89 in 2016 from Amazon, with my gift card total was $45.57 shipped great deal!, but page 9 is also unsigned.

Attachments

not all books were signed. I thought it were 300 copies.
If I remember well I signed 300 stickers for Roger in those days.

In the first period of the headgear-series it were 500. Can't remember
the aiguilletteboek, but it might be 500 also.

Last edited:
Back